Advanced Search

Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] File downloads as a .zip and not a .pk3?  (Read 6237 times)

September 20, 2012, 04:02:06 AM
Read 6237 times

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
[TUTORIAL] File downloads as a .zip and not a .pk3?
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:02:06 AM »
Ok, so this isn't directly related to MM8BDM itself, but it's a question I had myself (that I eventually resolved after help from others here), and I've seen it asked more than once from others.

When I try to download [wad name here], it is supposed to be a .pk3 file, but I get a .zip instead. What am I supposed to do?

For this example, I will use the RockmanNoConstancy pk3. Once you know how to do it, it is easy. When you click on the download link to download any of the pk3s here, you should end up with something like this (I'm using IE):

Notice how the file you are about to download is a .zip file? Click on Save to be brought to a screen like this one (here I am using XP, but should look similar in newer computers):

Here is where the problem lies. To fix this issue, click on the dropdown box next to Save as type: and choose All Files. This should definitely look a bit better:

The last step is to add .pk3 to the end of the filename so it looks just like the filename I typed out. When you click Save, it should be downloaded as a .pk3 extension, and you are now able to join any servers hosting that particular .pk3 file. That's it. That was pretty easy to do all of this time, was it? You should be good now, but refer back to this guide if you ever forget.

By the way, I am sure you were curious what would have happened if you extracted the zip. It does not do much for you other than add some useless Actors and other files. It does not do you any good, so delete the .zip if you downloaded it that way. I heard there was a way to rename the file as a .pk3 after already downloading it, but any efforts on my end to do that did not work out.

This was a simple tutorial, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

September 25, 2012, 11:48:27 PM
Reply #1

Offline MEGAMANX123

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 04, 2012, 01:37:19 PM

• View Profile
Re: [TUTORIAL] File downloads as a .zip and not a .pk3?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
i think we all know how to do this right? is this for windows xp users only or just all

September 25, 2012, 11:49:54 PM
Reply #2

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
It's a common complaint, so I guess not everybody knows how.

September 25, 2012, 11:51:52 PM
Reply #3

Offline MEGAMANX123

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 04, 2012, 01:37:19 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
well i guess this is the form to go to if you need help. just putting it out there its really easy its not hard

August 20, 2013, 01:31:54 AM
Reply #4

Offline Goomba98

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 20, 2013, 01:26:26 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:31:54 AM »
Quote from: "TailsMK4"
I heard there was a way to rename the file as a .pk3 after already downloading it, but any efforts on my end to do that did not work out.
This assumes you're using Windows 7.
1. Go to Control Panel.
2. Click on Appearance and Personalization.
3. Click on Folder Options.
4. Go to the View tab.
5. Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types".
6. Double-click on the name of a file whose extension you want to change. The extension does not highlight automatically, but it is still editable.