Advanced Search

Author Topic: Can't get into a server hosting an earlier ver of Zandronum?  (Read 4963 times)

September 03, 2013, 05:48:25 AM
Read 4963 times

Offline Zomo.exe

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 02, 2013, 09:57:52 PM

• View Profile
Can't get into a server hosting an earlier ver of Zandronum?
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:48:25 AM »
Since the Zandronum team has had fairly frequent updates to their client recently, I'm seeing more of the "I'd upgrade to the most recent version, but it's such a hassle to use different versions!" comment. MM8BDM has more or less converted over to this client, so the issue is: how DO you easily deal with servers that aren't using the most recent version?

Simple. Follow these easy steps!

1. Make a copy of the folder that contains the following: MM8BDM, all related .pk3 files (mods, map-packs, etc.), and Zandronum of course. I HIGHLY suggest just keeping to the bare minimum, such as core files for the game and files required to run Zandronum, because not doing so leads to unnecessary clutter. Also, take time to clean up unused mods or whatever you don't use much (stick to .pk3 files, if you accidently delete any important files, chances are you're gonna have to do a fresh download or install). Make sure that a copy of your Zandronum-"Account Name".ini is in any folder that you make as well, so any and all settings are carried over for any version you which to use.

2. Rename the folder you just made with whatever came with the version of Zandronum you're running so you know which one is which. Take note of filepaths and put them in a notepad document or something, you'll see why soon enough.

3. Using Doomseeker (which is packaged with more recent versions), go to Options > Configure > Engines > Zandronum. You will see a box where it says "Path to executable". Either browse to whichever version you're looking for (Properties > Date created can give an idea of what version it is), or paste a filepath like I suggested earlier to make this process easier.

4. (OPTIONAL) Just to make sure Doomseeker still looks for wads and .pk3 files in the right places, check the Filepaths option under Configure to make sure it points to the folder that contains what you have. I personally keep all of that in one place; less typing and effort spent looking around. Also, go to Wadseeker > General and make sure the directory path also goes to the folder you may or may not have said files in. This is where Doomseeker will put files for whatever server that needs them so that you can quickly get into a game.

If you have to switch for whatever reason, simply refer to step 3 to insert a filepath to whichever version of Zandronum you need. Now, if you followed these instructions correctly, now you can easily play on any MM8BDM server, regardless of Zandronum version! Keep in mind this is useful for when most people haven't really switched versions over on their servers, but can be used when necessary. If anything seems unclear, or if you find a simpler way to do this, lemme know in a PM or find me on a 8BDM server if all else fails. Happy gaming!

September 03, 2013, 06:01:30 AM
Reply #1

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
Re: Can't get into a server hosting an earlier ver of Zandro
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:01:30 AM »
Nice tutorial.. I suppose.. although I'm still not upgrading until 1.2 gets a greenlight with mm8bdm from a certain someone.