Advanced Search

Author Topic: Discuss your honest thoughts on GVH Nordic Saga.  (Read 37915 times)

January 01, 2012, 01:23:14 PM
Read 37915 times

Offline TERRORsphere

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 22, 2009, 08:45:17 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DoomThroughDoom
Discuss your honest thoughts on GVH Nordic Saga.
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
This is a fresh new topic that is just about this single topic, unlike the last one.

January 01, 2012, 03:05:23 PM
Reply #1

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
Re: Discuss your honest thoughts on GVH Nordic Saga.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
I haven't played it online yet. The last time I downloaded all the wads they changed them.

January 01, 2012, 07:14:59 PM
Reply #2

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
Havent played it lately either, but mostly due to their... Well-known behaviour kinda ruining the gaming atmosphere. The wads being the largest thing on Skulltag (feel free to prove me wrong on that, if there's actual honest, single projects that are larger :P) doesnt help either for people being new or returning to the GVH scene.

I would call it GVH but its still not official and goes against the original values the game had, in particular the range vs melee aspect. The maps may be dictating who gets the advantadge but there was still plenty of space for an skilled or creative player to say... find a save path to the human to kill him.
All the balance bugs where ironed out anyway, aside from maybe Jitter spam, still a difficult problem... I just dont see the point of overhauling the game that was well known and loved. At best the only problems where the maps and Jitterskulls (in groups), if i recall correctly.

Hm, wouldnt be bad either in my opinion if they decided to stop using GVH as a platform and became their own game, plenty of time has passed, they probaly made 2-3 classes for each side now, its certainly doable and makes space for some good old fashioned GVH. Well lets see this explode i suppose, unless Tor is the one doing the talking...

January 02, 2012, 09:41:00 AM
Reply #3

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
I hope Watermelon sees this topic.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Pffahaha, I think it's complete garbage. The devs treat anyone who dislikes their mod like crap, there's a melee human, a ranged ghoul, the new ghouls are made wrong, and copious amounts of balance issues.

January 02, 2012, 10:43:23 AM
Reply #4

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
Hm, pretty much why i took a break from Skulltag, everything else lags like hell or isnt GVH or perhaps a good ol invasion server. And if there is a GVH server it'll either be annoying gameplay in NS and/or the creators throwing shit at me for just disliking their choices in this mod, if not for their behaviour. Kinda what got their Skulltag thread locked.

I can only guess why some people keep playing it, probaly only because it is new and updated every now and then. Either that or people dont care for quality anymore, or so some people in MUGEN would lament about the creations being made these days.

January 02, 2012, 01:53:56 PM
Reply #5

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:53:56 PM »
I tried it a bit yesterday.
Santa and the Engineer are too complicated for spammers like me.
And I miss the old music.  :cry:

Well, maybe I should play it for more hours to have a better opinion or something.

January 02, 2012, 07:09:18 PM
Reply #6

Offline IvanDobrovski

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 05, 2011, 01:54:44 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
Quote from: "Laggy Blazko"

Well, maybe I should play it for more hours to have a better opinion or something.

I'll respond to the only post that is worth being answered...

Santa has a new weapon, besides that it's nothing new compared to the good old Santa you know. Those are the presents, which work identical to ghostbuster traps except they serve a different purpose, burst of damage. When you detonate them they burst into hollies and if someone is nearby them they are sure to be dead. It requires incredible timing, can be used to save time, the time you waste trying to land hollies.

Engineer has had a complete overhaul to prevent making him a shameless Santa copy. The gravity gun, though may seem weak at first, is sure to get you many kills when you get used to it. Remember, the wider/taller the object is, the more the damage you do. Nailgun is kept until we find a better alternative, can be kept forever too I suppose. The wrench allows you to build a dispenser/sentry. Sentry will get upgrades in the future, so don't worry about it if it sucks. (It's very good on high surfaces though, where most ghouls can't reach it) The real power at the moment comes from the dispenser, which provides you with Shrapnel Mines and stimpacks. These stimpacks heal you by 10 hp and you can get only 2 throughout the round from your dispenser. Same goes for mines, except these are there to help you in case there aren't any good objects found. Use them, they are sure to not disappoint you. Dispenser also allows many others to get items from them, like grenades, ammunition etc.

Happy fragging, and I hope this helped !

January 02, 2012, 07:17:23 PM
Reply #7

Offline Watermelon

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 15, 2011, 11:32:43 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
Well time to debunk some blatantly wrong stuff as usual:

Quote from: "CarThief"
Havent played it lately either, but mostly due to their... Well-known behaviour kinda ruining the gaming atmosphere.
Says the guy who comes in and never plays trolling our wad.

The wads being the largest thing on Skulltag (feel free to prove me wrong on that, if there's actual honest, single projects that are larger :P) doesnt help either for people being new or returning to the GVH scene.
We actually brought back old-schoolers and still manage to pull 32/32 people on various days.

I would call it GVH but its still not official and goes against the original values the game had, in particular the range vs melee aspect.
Obviously no one likes the old values or else we wouldn't be hitting 32/32 people so much.

All the balance bugs where ironed out anyway, aside from maybe Jitter spam, still a difficult problem... I just dont see the point of overhauling the game that was well known and loved. At best the only problems where the maps and Jitterskulls (in groups), if i recall correctly.
The thing that is awesome about NS is that it's so balanced, we almost always end up with 4-5 as a final score... unless of course myself and Ivan go on the human team and go marine after duels.

Hm, wouldnt be bad either in my opinion if they decided to stop using GVH as a platform and became their own game, plenty of time has passed, they probaly made 2-3 classes for each side now, its certainly doable and makes space for some good old fashioned GVH. Well lets see this explode i suppose, unless Tor is the one doing the talking...
This is still GVH though, making our own game wouldn't do anything. No one plays the old fashioned GVH anymore, it's dead.

Quote from: "Bikdark"
Pffahaha, I think it's complete garbage. The devs treat anyone who dislikes their mod like crap, there's a melee human, a ranged ghoul, the new ghouls are made wrong, and copious amounts of balance issues.
The only people we treat like crap are idiots like you, and hackers; both of which end up on the ban pike anyways.
Your points are flawed and make no sense; learn to troll next time properly please. I could easily point out why all your points are anti-logic, but I'd be wasting my time since you have no clue what you're talking about (and choose to do so)

And if there is a GVH server it'll either be annoying gameplay in NS and/or the creators throwing shit at me for just disliking their choices in this mod,
We kick you out come you come in and troll. If you're naive enough to actually think we kick you out because you dislike our game... the internet is not the place for you.

Kinda what got their Skulltag thread locked.
Wrong again, we had high up mods come to us and tell us that the thread was trolled by 2 people. They actually PM'ed us saying we can open a new thread, we're just choosing to do so later.

I can only guess why some people keep playing it, probaly only because it is new and updated every now and then. Either that or people dont care for quality anymore, or so some people in MUGEN would lament about the creations being made these days.
By your logic, people should have gone and played GVH3b5 if it's due to updates, but instead everyone just stayed with NS. Instead your thing just rotted.
I'd say people do care for quality, thats why our #GVH IRC channel is one of the most popular IRC channels there are. We give the community the quality it deserves, not some AFK dev who never plays his own game and balances it based on bots.

Quote from: "Laggy Blazko"

Santa's still the same, nothing changed except a new weapon.
Engineer is a bit more complicated, if you like spamming just go GB ;)

January 02, 2012, 07:34:39 PM
Reply #8

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
Oh, Watermelon. I'm glad you posted here.

I'm the creator of GvH34 Moon Light Glade. I gave permission for CutmanMike to use the map in GvH. It came to my attention you included it in your Nordic Saga. I never gave you permission to use the map, and I want it out. Thank You.

January 02, 2012, 07:37:40 PM
Reply #9

Offline Watermelon

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:37:40 PM »
Quote from: "Ivory"
Oh, Watermelon. I'm glad you posted here.

I'm the creator of GvH34 Moon Light Glade. I gave permission for CutmanMike to use the map in GvH. It came to my attention you included it in your Nordic Saga. I never gave you permission to use the map, and I want it out. Thank You.

I'd be glad to remove your crap map. I personally always exclude it from the rotation. I removed it from the map rotation many months ago since everyone disliked it.

Interesting fact: I talked to the admins and apparently since you give CutmanMike permission to use the map-- since NS is an extension of GVH, we can use it if we want. Since your map is submitted freely and since we are not making any money off it it... there is no law to have it removed. You must go through Cutmanmike to have it removed from GVH as a whole, and then you'd have more ground to stand on for this petty thing.
Not that I don't want it gone though.

Everytime we (used to) go to your map it just kills the server or everyone callvotes to a new map anyways. It's had it's head on the chopping block for a while, just I haven't gotten around to filling it's spot with something worthwhile yet.

You'd be surprised how many of the newer maps we just don't play actually. Most of the stuff submitted after GVH22 is just bad. There are some good ones though, when we release the next major update with a new core I'm going to do the purging of the deadweight.

January 02, 2012, 07:44:17 PM
Reply #10

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »
Funny how in real GvH, Moon Light Glade was considered one of the better additions of the new map.
Oh well.

By the way, if you don't clean up your attitude then there will be consequences. Cutstuff doesn't tolerate jerks.

January 02, 2012, 07:45:35 PM
Reply #11

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member

• View Profile
You keep using that word...I do not think you know what it m
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »
Quote from: "Watermelon"
Well time to debunk some blatantly wrong stuff as usual:

Havent played it lately either, but mostly due to their... Well-known behaviour kinda ruining the gaming atmosphere.
Says the guy who comes in and never plays trolling our wad.
Says the guy who calls anyone who doesn't like his WAD a troll

The thing that is awesome about NS is that it's so balanced, we almost always end up with 4-5 as a final score... unless of course myself and Ivan go on the human team and go marine after duels.
Bullshit. Complete bullshit. With all the time I've spent on Grandvoid, I've only seen 1-5 in the Ghoul's favor. And don't go saying "Sorry, the mods haven't seen you on the server, so you weren't there."

Quote from: "Bikdark"
The only people we treat like crap are idiots like you, and hackers; both of which end up on the ban pike anyways.
So I'm an idiot for calling you out on inexcusable behavior toward people who have given your mod constructive criticism?  
Your points are flawed and make no sense; learn to troll next time properly please.
So I'm a "troll" because I chose not to like your wad?
 I could easily point out why all your points are anti-logic, but I'd be wasting my time since you have no clue what you're talking about (and choose to do so)
Do it. You say you can, so do it.

And if there is a GVH server it'll either be annoying gameplay in NS and/or the creators throwing shit at me for just disliking their choices in this mod,
We kick you out come you come in and troll. If you're naive enough to actually think we kick you out because you dislike our game... the internet is not the place for you.
Again, bullshit.

January 02, 2012, 07:46:54 PM
Reply #12

Offline Watermelon

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
Quote from: "Ivory"
Funny how in real GvH, Moon Light Glade was considered one of the better additions of the new map.
By who?

By the way, if you don't clean up your attitude then there will be consequences. Cutstuff doesn't tolerate jerks.
Yet Cutstuff allows posts like Bikdark to be made, right? Since I know how good of a mod you are, I'm quite sure you'd be glad to make sure there are no double standards-- right?

January 02, 2012, 07:48:44 PM
Reply #13

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
Quote from: "Watermelon"
Yet Cutstuff allows posts like Bikdark to be made, right? Since I know how good of a mod you are, I'm quite sure you'd be glad to make sure there are no double standards-- right?
Would you mind pointing out where?

January 02, 2012, 07:49:11 PM
Reply #14

Offline IvanDobrovski

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 05, 2011, 01:54:44 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
Before this becomes Cutstuff vs NS, let's stop it here... this is derailing the topic.

All I'm saying is, we have an irc channel which is #gvh, if you do CARE about this, state your "constructive criticism" there. I'm sure it won't be helping much, but it won't hurt anyway.