Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn) [V2A Released!]  (Read 129764 times)

January 11, 2016, 02:16:42 PM
Reply #30

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn)
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
I have a question about the maps, I noticed Volt Man's map was still open, and was wondering if I could attempt that, but, assuming I actually get the part, I don't actually know anything about Megaman Dos or Volt Man. Where could I find references for Volt Man's Map as far as textures and gimmicks if there are any?

January 11, 2016, 06:01:40 PM
Reply #31

Offline NES Boy

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 19, 2014, 04:59:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »
Here's VGMaps's Mega Man DOS maps. Perhaps that would suffice for a bit.

January 11, 2016, 09:26:46 PM
Reply #32

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
This expansion is using new stuff from the ground up btw Duora, so the original stuff from the game doesn't need to be secured.
Since I'm here I do have one simple request from this, mind making sure nothing clashes with the original DOS expansion? Simply cause it exists, already and if anyone DOES end up using it it would be awkard to have them causing issues with each other.
Though I do have another idea regarding that which I'll be working on at a later date.

January 11, 2016, 10:00:05 PM
Reply #33

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:05 PM »
When we started the maps side of things, I personally requested that we use separate map and music codes for this expansion.  Maps'll be "MMDxxx" (whereas old DOS uses DOSxxx) and music will be "xxxMUSD."  No use declaring the two projects separate if both wads can't be hosted at the same time.

January 11, 2016, 11:05:30 PM
Reply #34

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:30 PM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
This expansion is using new stuff from the ground up btw Duora, so the original stuff from the game doesn't need to be secured.
Since I'm here I do have one simple request from this, mind making sure nothing clashes with the original DOS expansion? Simply cause it exists, already and if anyone DOES end up using it it would be awkard to have them causing issues with each other.
Though I do have another idea regarding that which I'll be working on at a later date.

I'm aware that it's going to use new stuff, but I wanted to at least have an idea as to what kind of level Volt Man has so I could begin working on a possible layout, assuming the levels theme and stuff aren't changed and he keeps that weird power plant thing.

Quote from: "NES Boy"
Here's VGMaps's Mega Man DOS maps. Perhaps that would suffice for a bit.

January 11, 2016, 11:19:24 PM
Reply #35

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 11:19:24 PM »
Quote from: "Thunderono"
When we started the maps side of things, I personally requested that we use separate map and music codes for this expansion.  Maps'll be "MMDxxx" (whereas old DOS uses DOSxxx) and music will be "xxxMUSD."  No use declaring the two projects separate if both wads can't be hosted at the same time.
Wow, way ahead of me then, thanks Thunder. I was expecting you guys to end up using RAR or something but that works out too.

January 17, 2016, 03:28:57 AM
Reply #36

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 03:28:57 AM »
Howdy, folks! For today's progress update, I'm largely going to steer the topic in another direction and talk a bit about the new character joining the mix, Dr. Samba.
(click to show/hide)
Curiously, unused sprites exist in the files of Mega Man 3 (PC, of course) of an unnamed scientist character (whose silhouette was visible in CRORQ's cockpit). He was presumably an antagonist in the same vein as Dr. Cossack. During the redesign of the DOS cast, SnakePixel also went and turned him into a full-blown character, which he referred to as Dr. Samba. Naturally, we felt he should be included in the expansion in some way -- not as an antagonist, but a support character.

Prior to the events of the hypothetical game (and the campaign), Dr. Samba was an emerging robotics engineer and an old acquaintance of Dr. Light. He specialized in industrial-grade Robot Masters, who would assist in the development of public works projects. Unique to Dr. Samba was his robotic assistant, CRORQ -- a supercomputer. With CRORQ's help, Samba was able to smoothly and efficiently coordinate his robots, as well as keep them under control. With Dr. Samba's efforts making headlines, he and his series of Robot Masters were quickly becoming renowned within the robotics community:

DSN-001: Sonic Man -- radio communications
DSN-002: Volt Man -- large-scale power regulation
DSN-003: Dyna Man -- blast mining
DSN-004: Knife Man -- undercover law enforcement & espionage
DSN-005: Torch Man -- manufacturing
DSN-006: Bit Man -- oil prospecting & drilling
DSN-007: Shark Man -- deep-sea topography
DSN-008: Buoy Man -- maritime safety
DSN-009: Petrol Man -- fuel refinement

When Dr. Wily saw the potential of Dr. Samba's creations, he remotely hacked into CRORQ's mainframe and took control of it, causing Samba's Robot Masters (and CRORQ itself) to go haywire. With his robots running renegade, and Samba himself having been ousted from his studio, he was quickly framed for the robot uprising. With nobody else to turn to, Dr. Samba came to Dr. Light for help. During the events of the game, he works with Dr. Light in tracking down Dr. Wily in an attempt to stop the corruption at its source. Meanwhile, Mega Man (or the player character) is called upon to pacify the Robot Masters that are revolting.

--

As far as the rest of the expansion goes, things are progressing slowly, but surely. Themes have been decided upon for all of the maps, and thanks to the efforts of IamaMedalHunter, Shark Man finally has a tail.

See y'all next time!

January 17, 2016, 07:51:08 PM
Reply #37

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 07:51:08 PM »
Great update!

January 17, 2016, 11:35:53 PM
Reply #38

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 11:35:53 PM »
DSN-004: Knife Man -- law enforcement

Cops don't use bladed weapons for good reasons.  Try again.

January 18, 2016, 07:29:27 AM
Reply #39

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 07:29:27 AM »
Quote from: "NemZ"

I kinda have to agree that law enforcement seems odd for him since he is based off a Japanese gangster if I recall.

January 18, 2016, 11:23:08 AM
Reply #40

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"

I kinda have to agree that law enforcement seems odd for him since he is based off a Japanese gangster if I recall.

Maybe his roll was more like an undercover cop, his appearance would allow him to blend in more, maybe?

January 18, 2016, 12:59:29 PM
Reply #41

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
the attitude tho
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 12:59:29 PM »
That's actually what we were getting at. He was more designed for espionage and subterfuge, infiltrating criminal organizations to gather information. His appearance and arsenal help him play the part. In that way, you might call him a detective or an agent -- except he throws knives.

January 18, 2016, 10:10:17 PM
Reply #42

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: the attitude tho
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2016, 10:10:17 PM »
Quote from: "Gumballtoid"
That's actually what we were getting at. He was more designed for espionage and subterfuge, infiltrating criminal organizations to gather information. His appearance and arsenal help him play the part. In that way, you might call him a detective or an agent -- except he throws knives.
Ok that can make sense.

January 18, 2016, 11:48:05 PM
Reply #43

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2016, 11:48:05 PM »
That sounds like a background for an X game, not classic.  I don't expect there were many criminal robots when they weren't sentient yet.

January 19, 2016, 12:02:13 AM
Reply #44

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 12:02:13 AM »
That sounds like a background for an X game, not classic.  I don't expect there were many criminal robots when they weren't sentient yet.
Watch the final cutscenes to Mega Man 8 again. Pretty sure one of them was Mega stopping a Robot Bank Robber. Also many of the King Bots joined King of their own free will, such as Magic. There was also an entire robot tournament, Wily only stole the top 8. Even in Super Adventure Rockman (though not canon I know) the Fan Fiend talked about being promoted to Robot Master if he defeated Mega.
Even in Megamix, Ring Man was a detective as well, also the 1000 robot masters killed by Terra.
So thinking about these, there could be a LOT of robots of varying sentient levels made by various people to do various things, or even program bugs malfunctioning due to not having perfected the ability to program the robots right, resulting in a bank security robot having a line of code wrong and becoming a bank robber robot.