Advanced Search

Author Topic: Random Problems/Questions? Find Answers Here!  (Read 3168 times)

January 01, 2012, 09:24:45 PM
Read 3168 times

Offline Joseph Collins

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Lv. 33 Pogo Fan
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2010, 04:47:35 AM

• View Profile
    • http://josephlithius.tumblr.com
Random Problems/Questions? Find Answers Here!
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »
Hey all.  I can't figure this one out, so I'm going to go ahead and call on you guys for assistance.

Lately, I've noticed that when I host bots locally, my frame rate will occasionally take a very minor hit at random times.  Generally, this seems to happen if a bot is right in my face, blasting away as they do, but it's happened on some other occasions as well.  I haven't changed my hardware or software lately and my video drivers are fairly up to date, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I also notice that I take a huge hit if I trigger the rain event in Cloudman's stage (or Cloudman's Stage Remix), but again, this isn't constant.  The drop in framerate happens every few seconds or so and never hangs around, but is far more noticeable than the occasional snag I get from just hosting bots.  It's far, far worse if I happen to be hosting bots on that stage, too.

So, any ideas?  Optimal graphic settings?  Etc.?  This happens regardless of the extra WADs I have loaded or whatever video mode or rendering mode (Software/OpenGL) I'm in, so I figure maybe there's some tweaking I haven't played with yet...

Thanks in advance!

Edit: It's worth noting that the snow in Cossack's stage does not cause me random lag at all.

Edit 2: I'm trying to convert this topic to a "general Q&A" topic.  If you have any problems you need help with or questions you'd like answered about Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch, ask here!  This is only for the game client and not the editing of the content there-in.

January 01, 2012, 09:26:43 PM
Reply #1

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
Re: Drop in Frame Rate When Hosting Bots or Rain Falls
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »
Just going to let you know, this happens to everyone.

Not sure if it effects Softwear users, but OpenGL users are typically hit hard by it.

January 01, 2012, 09:29:03 PM
Reply #2

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
Happens to me and I'm a software user. I usually remove bots if they ever lag me in my servers, as that's the only thing I can do.

January 01, 2012, 09:41:09 PM
Reply #3

Offline Joseph Collins

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Lv. 33 Pogo Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »
Quote from: "LlamaHombre"
Just going to let you know, this happens to everyone.

Not sure if it effects Softwear users, but OpenGL users are typically hit hard by it.
You know what?  I'll take that.  It's actually reassuring that it's not just me that gets bot/Cloudman lag.  :D  It's entirely possible I just never noticed before, too, since I rarely play on that/those levels, since the bots are... well... dumber than usual on Cloudman's stage.

January 01, 2012, 09:42:36 PM
Reply #4

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
Re: Temp. Drop in Frame Rate When Hosting Bots or Rain Falls
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:42:36 PM »
It's the real reason why nobody plays on Cloud Man's stage or any reincarnations of it.

It's not a bad map, it's just the lag is unbearable.

January 01, 2012, 09:54:29 PM
Reply #5

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
Re: Temp. Drop in Frame Rate When Hosting Bots or Rain Falls
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »
The rain lag probably has to do with the large number of new objects.

In the next version, that should be replaced with a screen overlay sprite, like the blindingness that is the Flash Stopper's effect.

January 04, 2012, 02:14:27 PM
Reply #6

Offline Joseph Collins

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Lv. 33 Pogo Fan

• View Profile
Re: Random Problems/Questions? Find Answers Here!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
I like that idea, but there's the problem of the in-door areas.  I mean, it doesn't rain in-door!
On the other hand, just scaling back on the amount of objects spawned seems to fix the problem.  One of the maps in the Ivory/Mr. X pack uses the same mechanics as the Cloudman stages, but with considerably less objects.

On to a new question!: Is there a way to run Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch using an alternate INI file without renaming the current one?  I'm sure there is, but I can't remember the command line parameter to do so. (Yes, I tried adding it via "-file".  No go.)

January 04, 2012, 06:43:29 PM
Reply #7

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:43:29 PM »
It is possible to give that overlay at certain sectors provided if they were coded to do that. Therefore, if ya were to enter indoors, it should be set to take away that rain overlay.

January 10, 2012, 05:25:42 AM
Reply #8

Offline Joseph Collins

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Lv. 33 Pogo Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:25:42 AM »
I see.

Anyhoo, new problem!

Unknown patch 'EBALX0' in texture 'XTANK'
This error keeps popping up in the console if I try and replace the existing E-Tank, W-Tank, or M-Tank graphics with new ones via patch PK3.  What happens is that the physical items display just fine, but apparently, the game can't or refuses to load the new graphics into the inventory icon versions.  Instead, it shows blank icons for the various support items.

I... really can't figure out why that's happening.  I tried added a TEXTURES file to my PK3, but that seemed to just confuse the game further.  It's rather annoying, considering I just want to fix the damn graphical glitches that have been there since at least v1a!  >_<

And yes, I'm aware having a TEXTURES file in the PK3 would give me a "version mismatch" error if I went crusin' on multiplayer.  That was just an experiment.  I'm sincerely hoping to just be able to plop the graphics and only the graphics in and be good.

January 10, 2012, 04:09:39 PM
Reply #9

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »
EBAL is the sprite used for the E-Tank, which is flipped internally to make other tanks and stuff, so it won't find the texture if it's in an extra wad since it loads those after the main PK3

January 10, 2012, 07:05:38 PM
Reply #10

Offline Joseph Collins

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Lv. 33 Pogo Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »
You're half-right, actually.  E through H are the X-Tank graphics.  A through D are the Energy Capsule graphics.  Either way, this does give me an idea, though...  Let's just put all the "EBALXX" graphics into my PK3 and see what happens...

Code: [Select]
Unknown patch 'EBALF0' in texture "ETANK"
Unknown patch 'EBALG0' in texture "MTANK"
Unknown patch 'EBALH0' in texture "WTANK"
God damn it.  Well, I tried...

Also, your response doesn't really make sense to me.  The graphics for the physical items are replaced with absolutely no problem... but the graphics for the inventory items, because those are specifically patches, are not.  And as I said, adding the TEXTURES to the secondary PK3 doesn't work. (On top of "invalidating" my game and preventing me from getting online.)