Advanced Search

Author Topic: SBWT Mapping Competition: Burst Man  (Read 8256 times)

July 21, 2013, 09:05:32 PM
Read 8256 times

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
SBWT Mapping Competition: Burst Man
« on: July 21, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »
Alright, how this works is that you may vote in the poll here / discuss the entries IN THIS CATEGORY ONLY
I cannot stress this enough, don't mix anything up. The polls will be open for 7 days max, or until opinions and such dry up.

Your options will be for each entry (sans funbox maps), or to keep the original version of the map. However this option can only be posted in the thread because I want to hear a good reason to why. Failure to do so will result in your vote being discounted.

Sound fair enough? Keep in mind should this explode, judging will fall purely to Mike and myself.

==============================================================================

Entry 1 - Mendez
The first entry and perhaps the best of them. Compare to Smashbro's map which I will get to later, you both do the raising/lowering purple water gimmick. However, this is a much stronger use of the water. It doesn't take up a bulk of the stage, yet still offers some neat items. It works out well. You also fit in normal yellow water as well, though I do feel as though the power stone area is too unconnected to the rest of the level, but this is very minor, it still works out nicely.

I don't have much else to say, I am impressed with the map.

Entry 2 - Fyone
In terms of the burst map that comes the closest to being an improved version of the original core map, this one is the one. It has an air of the original while being entirely better. Lots of fighting space without falling hazards everywhere. Though like the original map, the purple water gimmick is used exactly the same and it was never used well to begin with. Also getting Time Stopper tends to be very annoying.

Overall, this is one of the best maps I've seen from you, good job. I do have to question all the Top Man textures and props that were in the file though. :ugeek:

Entry 3 - Smashbro
Oh my. Where to start. The pink water gimmick is overused, there is more pink water than area to fight. And being stuck in the pink water is annoying. Then you have the upper elevation which is entirely running around out of reach from the bottom half of the level. Super Adaptor is stupidly hidden on a pillar that needs Tornado Hold from the top part of the level and in general, the level design here stinks and needs drastic improvements. Not enough land, too much pink water.

July 21, 2013, 09:08:38 PM
Reply #1

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
Re: SBWT Mapping Competition: Burst Man
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
As cool as Smash's layout is, it uses the water alot, and it's annoying. I'l have to go with Fyone.

July 21, 2013, 09:14:10 PM
Reply #2

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
Mendez - Really good map structure, 3d floor usage was just about right I think. I think it's obvious the Eddie section just doesn't need to be there, or that difficult to get eddie and trying to get around it just breaks the flow of the map. Would recommend just sealing it off or having something simpler there. Other than that, good work!

Fyone - I enjoyed this map a whole lot except the parts that reminded me of the old burstman map. Every time I ended up at the water section I was just like "ugh". The original areas are really good though, just a shame my vanilla maps have TAINTED this a little bit!

SmashBroPlusB- The raising/lowering of the water in this map seems to be the highlight (transparent water 2 gud) in this one and it works pretty well to an extent, but the outdoor section is lacking in polish (maybe because of the 3d floors?). Also being stuck floating on the purple water really makes you vulnerable, I can imagine people not wanting to even go in there and that's tricky to do with those tight catwalks.

July 21, 2013, 09:19:36 PM
Reply #3

Offline Blaze Yeager

• MM8BDM Extender

• Retired, but still kicking.
  • Date Registered: March 14, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »
Hands down this one goes to Mendez. It's an map that flows excellently well! I think the Eddie area should be changed. Like what Mike said, it does break the flow a little.

July 21, 2013, 09:35:28 PM
Reply #4

Offline -Daiki-TheOni

• Standard Member

• Honor, love and justice... thats what i need.
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2011, 08:25:43 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
Smash and fyone maps are cool, but mendez map has something cool...I cant tell exactly what...

July 21, 2013, 09:36:08 PM
Reply #5

Knux

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »
I agree, Bluebrawl's layout feels just right. Plenty of space to fight, and Danger Wrap is a great weapon to use there.

July 21, 2013, 09:43:16 PM
Reply #6

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
Mendez's also has excessive Yashichis, which means there could be like 4 Evil Yashichis floating around if Chaos Generator is played on that map.

July 21, 2013, 10:03:48 PM
Reply #7

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
Mendez

There are few ill things I can say about the map. Mendez has once again produced a quality map, with an excellent layout and great weapon selection and item placement. Unlike the other Burst Man maps, this one finds a decent balance between the amount of water, count bombs, and general purpose fighting area. Overall, it is very solid, and has my vote for sure. The yellow water looks rather bland (and, if I may sound slightly unprofessional, slightly reminiscent of urine), but this isn't Mendez' fault as much as it is Burst Man's.

+ Great Layout
+ Good weapon/item selection and placement
+ Great Aesthetics
- Piss-water

Fyone

I find this map to be rather average. While it looks great and has a few interesting design decisions (like the Mega Ball blocked by count bombs), as well as managing to use count bombs effectively without making them feel shoe-horned in, the map has a rather confusing layout, and feels too much like it's an edit of the previous vanilla Burst Man.

+Good aesthetics
+Interesting use of count bombs
-Confusing Layout

SmashBroPlusB

My least favorite of the bunch. It overuses the purple-water gimmick too much (which is a bit annoying to play with in high-latency matches, something that constantly plagues me due to my swedishness). He also has odd item placement (Why do you need to jump through hoops to reach Tornado Hold of all things?), and the exterior wall looks rather glaring and ugly. Not many good things I can say about the map. That's not even mentioning that the rising water script outright breaks in multiplayer, although this is purely a bug rather than something that lowers map quality.

+ Good layout that takes the rising water levels into consideration
- Overuse of water placement
- Odd weapon/item placement
- Slightly ugly

July 21, 2013, 10:24:00 PM
Reply #8

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
Fun facts
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »

The funny thing about this map is that I started work on it about 5 months ago for a side project me and a few pals were interested in making. Our side project never got off the ground, but one of the very few gems that came out of it was this map.
A lot of what you guys see in my map was sitting in my hard drive for 4 months. The only things that I changed were the weapon layout and the shortcut that uses count bombs. Originally, that was meant to be a gimmick to reach an E-tank and that it would only be accessible from the second floor. YD and Galaxy Sisbro told me that it was a terrible gimmick and I VERY RELUCTANTLY changed it.
I've got to give props to a lot of people who made this map possible. While the layout and aesthetics were entirely my own, I had a lot of people who helped me implement the gimmicks and weapon layout. Smash gave me advice on weapons and helped me produce the yellow water; Copy gave me advice on weapons and hid my Yashichi; Kapus gave me small advice on the layout; King Yamato gave me advice on the yellow center; YD gave me craploads of advice on everything; Galaxy Sisbro provided moral support and helped produce the purple water; and finally, Lego helped create the custom Burst Spike actor and refined the purple water to near-perfection.
Will I need to change this map? You bet your ass I will. The eddie section will get revamped, I'll have to tinker around with the purple water, and I may even have to modify the upper piss-water section. Regardless, I'm happy that people appreciate all the work that I put into this map and all the contributions made by folks to refine this map.

July 21, 2013, 11:25:39 PM
Reply #9

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: June 05, 2013, 05:19:32 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »
I liked Fyone's the best. The spikes in Mendez's map just take away all the fun for me. I enjoyed the way Fyone incorporated the core map's style while simultaneously improving it.

July 21, 2013, 11:52:18 PM
Reply #10

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »
Based on the extremely high amount of votes for Mendez's map to my map, my map will probably never see the light of day in the end so here is an attempt at fixing the center part where a lot of people thought ruined the map:

(click to show/hide)

I fixed some bad points in other places too but this was the biggest change.

July 22, 2013, 12:06:11 AM
Reply #11

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 12:06:11 AM »
I honestly don't think Time Stopper should be here.

July 22, 2013, 12:10:53 AM
Reply #12

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 12:10:53 AM »
+Vote Smash because I am rather appreciative this design. I honestly like the amount of pink water along with Super Adaptors out of reach location, giving players who actually went through the effort of getting it an advantage, which is an advantage they certainly deserve.

And let me ask you this, what's better-- lots of pink water or lots of pits you can fall into?

Water was a large portion of Burstman's stage in MM7 itself so I think that this map is indeed the best choice. I can clearly see others won't agree with me though, but you have my personal approving opinion Smash, good job buddy.

July 22, 2013, 12:18:36 AM
Reply #13

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 12:18:36 AM »
My vote is going to Smash this time around. Make the water move all the time like in the original stage and add some more ways out of the purple water and this one is good to go for me.  Also Tengu makes a REALLY good point.
Mendez' map was ok, but not something I'd vote for.
Fyone's felt like a bigger version of the core, and his usually dinning table issue.

July 22, 2013, 12:38:48 AM
Reply #14

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »
Quote from: "Gizmo The Cat"
I honestly don't think Time Stopper should be here.

I just put Time Stopper there since there aren't a lot of vanilla maps with it.