Advanced Search

Author Topic: General Media Discussion  (Read 20638 times)

August 11, 2013, 06:58:38 PM
Read 20638 times

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
General Media Discussion
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
This a thread for talking about what you are watching right now. Whether it be anime, movies, cartoons, etc feel free to mention it here!

If this thread consistently booms with activity, then I'll place in a forum for it, otherwise this is just a test run.

So I'll begin. I really hate most TV shows nowadays and I'm not big into movies, but I do watch anime. I've recently been watching:

1) Rozen Maiden, Träumend, Ouvertüre and Rozen Maiden 2013 (the latter is airing right now). I absolutely love the first 3, truly is a classic anime series. the 2013 reboot has been pretty bad so far  (Ep 6 of 13). Granted it did abandon everything the anime did and followed the manga instead. But jeez, if the manga is as bad as the 2013 anime that adapts from it, then I infinitely prefer the direction the original Rozen Maiden and sequels went. Really wish the anime got a third season for a proper conclusion. In any case, the 2013 reboot aside, this has been my most favorite watch since Madoka.

2) Kiniro Mosaic. A cute slice of life anime about a British girl who transfers to japan to go to school with a girl who stayed with her in England during a homestay. Very cute and adorable and a good watch for when I need something calm and adorable. Also Japan apparently has hair colors in every color of the rainbow except yellow. In any case, as someone who gets easily bored with slice of life anime, this one is pretty great and makes me want to rewatch every episode.

3) I also recently watched Accel World. A very good anime, I enjoyed it greatly.

August 11, 2013, 07:11:10 PM
Reply #1

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
Re: What are you watching right now?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »
[removed]

August 11, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
Reply #2

Offline The Killer Nacho

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2013, 06:14:13 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »
I'm still into Regular Show and don't understand why people like Adventure Time.

August 11, 2013, 07:19:52 PM
Reply #3

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »
Been watching Phineas and Ferb recently. Just finished season 1, and it's been a nice watch so far. I'm a fan of lampshade-hanging humor, so it's been pretty amusing.

As for movies, I've been watching a lot of Studio Ghibli stuff lately. I'm a big fan of the studio, so I've just been looking through a list of their works and picking out stuff that interests me. The latest one I watched was...The Cat Returns, I think? A story about a girl who is transformed into a cat and forced into an arranged marriage with the "prince of cats." It was a nice, funny, zany movie. I was rather surprised at the goofy tone of the story, as most other Ghibli movies tend to be a little bit more grounded and serious. It was extremely enjoyable, though, and is probably one of my favorites from Ghibli.

August 11, 2013, 07:21:34 PM
Reply #4

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
Tengu thoroughly enjoys Johnny Test
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »
I'm not much of a TV person and I hate watching movies. There are a few exceptions, though. I'll watch anime once in a while if someone encourages I check it out. I watched a bit of Urusei Yatsura but tired of it after a few episodes. Later on, fueled by nostalgia, I watched the entirety of Code Lyoko series in about a week or two. That show is my childhood.

I don't care what any of you say, I still enjoy the Pokemon anime.

August 11, 2013, 07:24:24 PM
Reply #5

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
Been rewatching the entirety of the anime Rune Soldier (If you've never heard of it it's pretty funny, you should check it out.)

August 11, 2013, 07:27:12 PM
Reply #6

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
I don't really watch TV but I watch anime

I'm watching The Lost Canvas and Azumanga Daio currently, but the only airing anime i'm watching is Watamote

and there's like 12302195145 things I want to watch too
it's depressing to think about my backlog

August 11, 2013, 07:28:28 PM
Reply #7

Offline ZeStopper

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 15, 2013, 04:06:13 AM

• View Profile
    • http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
I guess watching DBZ ,the Unicron Trilogy of  Transformers (Armada, Energon, and Cybertron), and some random Youtube stuff counts.

August 11, 2013, 07:37:54 PM
Reply #8

Offline Tfp BreakDown

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 13, 2012, 10:48:09 PM

• View Profile
    • http://askmagnetman.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
Do Lets plays count? Because if so, I have been watching a playthrough of Stair Fax TemperaturesStar Fox Adventures by MasaeAnela and a Playthrough of Jet Set Radio Future by Thelegendofrenagade. Also I have been watching SD (Superior Defense) Gundam Force, a show I have not seen nor remembered since I was young.

August 11, 2013, 07:43:08 PM
Reply #9

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
I've been trying to watch Bobobo again

I had to stop after rupturing my spleen from laughing too hard

August 11, 2013, 07:45:08 PM
Reply #10

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
1) Breaking Bad
Currently the best series on tv right now, I absolutely love it. It's the best example of recession-era television, considering it's all about a man struggling to make ends meet for his family after he's gone. Walt will have to get out of the me- I mean, money business soon if he wants to throw his brother off his trail. Fun fact: Walt's brother is a member of the Drug Enforcement Association. Truly, the last half of this season will be amazing.

2)Portlandia
(click to show/hide)
It's a beautiful exaggeration of everything that makes Portland unique. Feminist bookstores, adult hide-and-seek leagues, and Portland-organic chickens. It's one of the things I'm trying to watch entirely on Netflix, aside from a couple of other movies and stuff. Speaking of movies...

3)Drive
(click to show/hide)
A REAL HUMAN BEING. AND A REAL HERO.

August 11, 2013, 08:27:14 PM
Reply #11

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
I just checked out Trigun's first episode. It was somewhat amusing, and I'l have to see if I can stick to the series. And remember it, too.

August 11, 2013, 08:31:09 PM
Reply #12

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
I've been very indecisive with the things I'm watching. A few months ago I started checking out a bunch of random anime in search of one that interested me enough to watch, and settled on Scrapped Princess. It's a fairly good anime, I think I left off at around Episode 9-11. I don't remember. Eventually I started watching something else which I don't remember, and later ended up watching Tales of Symponia - The Animation. THAT, was good. I finished that already though, and watched it again with my brothers.

Then, for nostalgia purposes, I ended up going back and watching Sonic X from the beginning. I passed 40 episodes, and surprisingly found it better than I remembered. (Of course, the last time I watched the first two seasons of Sonic X were a long time ago--Some episodes I hadn't even seen in Japanese.) Chris wasn't nearly as annoying, which surprised me the most. However, he had his moments. And I sort of got unmotivated to continue as I drew closer to his whiniest point, although the main thing that discouraged me was that I couldn't find any more episodes on Youtube at the time.

And finally, for more nostalgia purposes, I was lead to Kirby of the Stars. Both this and Sonic X were part of my late childhood. Kirby however, I had much more fun watching. I'm around episode 23 and still going. I'll probably go back and finish the other shows I ditched some time.

August 11, 2013, 08:43:02 PM
Reply #13

Offline ZeStopper

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 15, 2013, 04:06:13 AM

• View Profile
    • http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
I kinda watched the whole Dragon Ball Z Kai storyline and most of Justice League Unlimited.

August 11, 2013, 08:46:44 PM
Reply #14

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »
Things I am actively watching:

- Urusei Yatsura: I just really like the characters. I am less than halfway through and mostly just watch a whole stack of episodes every now and then.
- Akai Koudan Zillion: An anime based on SEGA-made light guns. Cheesy 80s sci-fi with cliché plotlines and cliché characters all over the place. But I like it. And the soundtrack just rocks.
- Walulis sieht fern: The best German TV show right now. It is not currently running, but there will be new episodes in September. Very fun to watch.

Things I sometimes watch more or less passively:

- Old seasons of NCIS. I especially love all the parts where they use computers simply because of how stupidly nonsensical it is at times. But I do like it for whatever reason.
- The Fairly Oddparents. It is so hilariously bad. It is like playing Saxton Hale mode with Chaosgenerator. I love it because of how horrifyingly dumb it is.