Advanced Search

Author Topic: Who likes Mega Man 8?  (Read 3995 times)

January 05, 2021, 11:09:26 AM
Read 3995 times

Offline FelixCaleb

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 05, 2021, 11:07:49 AM

• View Profile
Who likes Mega Man 8?
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:09:26 AM »
Hey! So I’ve been a fan of the classic series for a while now, and I just don’t like Mega Man 8 as much as the others. I’m not sure if it’s because of the voice acting, the robot masters, the music, the Rush abilities, or a bit of all 4, but it’s just not my style. I love Mega Man & Bass, which is more odd, I think.

I recently replayed it when the Legacy Collection came to the Switch, and it’s not like I dislike the game (I’ve played through it 3 times), it’s just not my favorite. But I know there’s a lot of people who love the game, and I want to love it too! I’m pretty sure it’s just the music (I’m a music major, so music has always been a big redeeming quality of video games). Speaking of which, Mega Man 11 is already tagged with “Great Soundtrack” on Steam 3 months before its release, which I think is a great testament to the Mega Man series.
https://nox.tips/  https://xender.vip/

So if you are a fan of Mega Man 8, I would love you to help me be a fan too! Thank you all!

January 05, 2021, 02:40:44 PM
Reply #1

Offline Flowey98

• Standard Member

• Former guest known as AsrielDreemurr
  • Date Registered: February 10, 2020, 11:03:50 PM

• View Profile
Re: Who likes Mega Man 8?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 02:40:44 PM »
A lot of people say that the voice acting is so bad that it is actually good, this video is an example, that being the infamous "Doctah Wahwee" meme.

January 05, 2021, 08:24:27 PM
Reply #2

Offline Pegg

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• 【I AM THE MACHINE】
  • Date Registered: September 21, 2016, 03:32:00 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:24:27 PM »
Personally, Mega Man 8 is my favourite game in the entire series. A lot of people aren't fond of it for some of the reasons you mentioned, whether it be the voice acting, the art style, the gameplay, etc.

I think that it nails all of those, though. The game plays basically the same as any other mainline Mega Man game, and the graphics and animations are absolutely beautiful. Admittedly, the voice performance is a little poor in some places, but I think for the most part it's actually really solid. A lot of people criticize characters like Aqua Man or Clown Man for being "weird and creepy", but to me, they're just part of the game's overall charm.

That's the main draw of the game, I feel- It has more personality and life to it than any of the other mainline games. Every robot master has their own silly dialogue and personality quirks, such as the elitist, arrogant Tengu Man, the crazed, masochistic Grenade Man or the respectful yet imposing Sword Man. It extends past the characters as well, there's small little touches everywhere. In Clown Man's stage, you can kick a Mega Ball into the mouth of the giant clown arch at the start, and get an extra life (or a screw, i forget) from it. Also in that stage, there's a little dude who actually rings the bell during the segments with the timed boxes. That's probably obvious to a lot of people, but I think the fact that they went out of their way to add an in-universe explanation as to why the boxes trigger, as opposed to just... having a timer, is really neat! I also like the segments where the gameplay is changed up a little, like the Tengu Man shoot 'em up. Yes, I even like the snowboard segments. They're challenging, but I never found them to be unfair. It usually boiled down to me forgetting which segment was up next, or mistiming a jump.

My point here is that there's a lot of small details and care put into this game that they really didn't have to add, but they did anyways. I think the experience is infinitely improved by that.
...but what if you don't care about that? What if you don't care about silly, nonessential details and you just want to focus on gameplay? Well, I think that's done really well too.

Mega Man controls a little differently compared to earlier games, arguably a little slower. I don't think that's a bad thing, though. It works for the challenges the game throws at you, and honestly it's not too different where someone who had only played the NES games couldn't pick it up and play.

All the weapons are useful and unique, as well. I can think of at least two situations for each weapon where they're useful, not including boss weaknesses. For example, Astro Crush can be used in Wily Stage 1 as a helpful tool to cross larger gaps, or to skip difficult parts of the terrain. You have to be mindful while using it though, because if you use it in the wrong place, you can get dragged off screen by an oncoming wall. Another example would be with Thunder Claw in Frost Man's stage, where you can use it to poke at the oncoming penguin enemies (and I think the ice blocks as well? it's been a while) and "reflect" them. You could also argue that the game has numerous instances of forced weapon usage, but honestly I don't think it's a problem here. By times you'd be forced to use weapons, you would already have them, since they all happen after the first 4 robot masters. There's also times you can use stuff like Flash Bomb or Flame Sword to get screws for upgrades, which are also fine, since those are optional.

Speaking of upgrades, I think the way Mega Man 8 does it's shop is actually really cool! It kinda sucks that there aren't enough screws in the game to get EVERYTHING, and some shop items are just silly (wow, a few extra lives upon game over. amazing), but the good upgrades are REALLY good. The game also doesn't feel bogged down if you don't have them, so they're also entirely optional. My favourite part about the whole screw system is that, since there's a set amount, it adds a lot of replay value to the game. It adds a fun little side mission to try and find as many of those screws as you can. Admittedly, I've never found all of them.

You mentioned the music in your post, and I think that's one of the excellent things in the game. It's not the same fast-paced tunes from earlier in the series, but I don't think it had to be either. A large part of why people dislike Mega Man 8, I think, is due to the way it was marketed in America. It was always depicted as some super high-octane, action packed, cool, awesome, robot kill destroy whatever. And on the NES, I think they could get away with that, due to how abstract some of the designs were. As the power of the hardware increased, though, a lot of the Japanese influence could finally bleed through, and it turned off a lot of American fans. The truth is, Mega Man was always silly and goofy, it was just never marketed right.

All of that is a long winded way of saying: The music in Mega Man 8 is great, and a lot of people write it off because it's too slow, or boring, or whatever. I think the opposite.
The music is very atmospheric, and every single song in the game fits the location. Frost Man's theme (my favourite) is a chilling, beautiful song, with a great bassline and really nice trumpets. To me, it really feels like a frozen-over city. Astro Man and Sword Man have similar sounding songs, but with different connotations. Astro Man's theme sounds very strange, slow, and otherworldly. It sounds like something you'd hear in a puzzle game, which is fitting for his confusing stage. Sword Man's is similar, but with a much more intimidating and foreboding feeling. It feels like you're infiltrating some ancient ruins.

Admittedly not every track is amazing, but all of them seem fitting for where they're used. Clown Man being a good example: I think his stage theme is a bit annoying at times, but it fits the silly carnival his stage is in.

And if you won't believe me, you should take Tee Lopes' (Sonic Mania composer) word for it: https://twitter.com/teelopesmusic/status/1342881906648616963

In conclusion, I wrote an essay on Mega Man 8 when I could have been writing an essay for my actual schoolwork.
Jokes aside, I think Mega Man 8 is a very good game. I'm not sure if it's the best game, but it's certainly the one I like the most.

If you want a tl;dr, I think the most important thing I talked about in this wall of text was the game's charm. If you aren't a fan of the goofy characters, the light-hearted setting, or the more experimental/abstract music, then likely you won't enjoy Mega Man 8. That's fine, I think, but I don't think what's there is bad by any means. It's just not for everyone.

It's an acquired taste, I guess, haha.

January 06, 2021, 06:21:03 AM
Reply #3

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 06:21:03 AM »
As a child the Megaman games I had were Wily Wars and &Bass (GBA). And when I was travelling with my parents or going to school I sooo often played &Bass until King's first stage, bought all upgrades by farming Astroman's stage (the corridor where enemies spawn from the background), and then restarted a new game. I never bothered with fortress stages in any MM game as a child.
I was used to the 16-bit/modern visual Megaman games until I played MM8BDM. When I first saw vids of MM8 it felt like an alternative MM&B (even though the opposite would be more officially appropriate) because of the same graphic style so I was really interested, especially Sword Man's stage/music. The fact PSX isos were harder to find/set-up at that time and I wasn't able to play it (only few, low quality videos on YT were available to see the game), made it kind of even more desirable to me.

January 12, 2021, 09:03:15 AM
Reply #4

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »
rush bike best rush transformation

January 12, 2021, 03:07:58 PM
Reply #5

Offline hansungkee

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor
  • Date Registered: March 24, 2017, 01:17:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 03:07:58 PM »
Duo The Justice Energy Robot is Best and I ReWork on Evil Energy Robot Sprites for MM8BDM.

May 15, 2021, 01:40:14 PM
Reply #6

Offline Snakefire7

• Standard Member

• Now with 20% more Scrotoman!
  • Date Registered: December 01, 2017, 10:56:51 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
Never played it