Advanced Search

Author Topic: Changing Team Colors: A New Team?!  (Read 12125 times)

May 09, 2016, 12:23:40 AM
Read 12125 times

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Changing Team Colors: A New Team?!
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:23:40 AM »
Two pretty exciting ideas have been mulling around in the devteam for a while now. Both of them will be covered in two topics made in this forum so that you can provide your feedback on them.
The second of them was to add a Stardroid Team as we'll likely be using that for the MMV expansion, and it's easier to get it out of the way now.
Not long after that idea gained traction, Lego brought it up to me that having an odd number of teams would be strange, so we had to find a sixth team to add.
And that's how the Mr. X team came back from the dead.

Now, as you've probably guessed at this point judging by the topic title, adding more teams isn't the only purpose of this idea.
On the same track as "getting it out of the way now," we'd like to change the team colors themselves.

Here's a set I've come up with. Personally, I'm pretty happy with all of them with the exception of the Stardroid team. Somethin' just feels...off.
To explain the thought process a little, Light team's colors were changed to Megaman's palette from MM9/MM10. It was a fairly nice palette that would also be a cheeky nod to the expansion this would come in. Cossack team becoming green happened because a green team would be cool and because of the next two teams. Stardroid team is purple because they're lead by Sunstar, who is purple; it also evokes a colder, spacier feeling than green does. King team became yellow for, you guessed it, their leader's color. Finally, Mr. X team is gray because the only other primary color not covered is Orange, and I am not about to have Red, Yellow, and Orange teams. That would get too confusing too fast.

Now, much like the other topic, let us know what you think! Do you like the idea? Do you think the color choices could be better? Leave your thoughts below, and provide examples!

May 09, 2016, 12:28:38 AM
Reply #1

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
Re: Changing Team Colors: Two More Teams?!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:28:38 AM »
I definitely like the idea -- plus, this means we'll be able to add a Dr. Samba team for DOS Reborn. Probably.

I like the direction the colors are being taken in, but I'm not crazy about those palettes specifically. I'll post my own attempt shortly.

EDIT:

There are a few changes from Korby's version that should be pointed out:
    Light and Wily are entirely unchanged.
    Cossack's primary was darkened slightly to help distinguish the two colors better.
    King was made generally darker to help prevent the bit of eye strain one might experience when looking at such bright colors.
    Stardroid's primary was changed to be a little closer to the violet end of the spectrum to help distinguish the team from Wily.
    X's secondary was saturated just a bit to make the team less dull gray and more metallic-y.
All of those colors exist on the 8BDM palette somewhere so it should be a non-issue.

May 09, 2016, 01:34:52 AM
Reply #2

Offline Orange juice :l

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=590
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:34:52 AM »
I'm all for more options even though I think a six-team game would be absurd. I prefer GBT's edits, but my only concern is that out of the corner of one's eye Team X might look a little bit like Team Light or someone else against certain backgrounds.

But why green for Cossack? Shouldn't he be Gold to fit with his theme? I would suggest Green Stardroids (space aliens n stuff, plus the Gameboy didn't even have color), Purple King (he had a lot of purple/dark blue-ish robots, didn't he?), and Gold Cossack (simply because we can't make him the Red Menace)

May 09, 2016, 01:37:56 AM
Reply #3

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:37:56 AM »
I can never not see the gold color scheme as Cossack

May 09, 2016, 01:43:22 AM
Reply #4

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:43:22 AM »
I'd be fine with any of those arrangements, really. Purple is a color often associated with royalty, which suits King nicely, green gives off a good alien vibe, and Cossack has been the mainstay orange/gold team in every version.

I'd really like to see these palettes used, though.

May 09, 2016, 01:58:51 AM
Reply #5

Offline JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 01:58:51 AM »
They didn't post team bar icons, so I guess I will

top row is what we currently got
king icon under their king icon is one I made to be more consistent with the other icons (height)
bottom row Is what we're lookin at (with a stardroid icon I guessed at)

My color arrangement suggestion
Cossack - yellow, like hammer and star on USSR flag.
King - purple, purple is royal.
Stardroid - gray, is evil and is like the darkness of space. Also they were on gameboy.
Mr. X - green, green is money, Mr. X is an eccentric billionaire.

May 09, 2016, 03:56:47 AM
Reply #6

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:56:47 AM »
TEAMINFO doesn't support more than four teams max.
It's worth pointing out that the ZDoom wiki's list of teams lists 8 teams: Blue, Red, Green, Gold, Black, White, Orange, and Purple.
This led Korby to believe it was possible to have more than four teams.
Zandronum not only has a hard coded cap on teams at 4, but also a server variable that controls how many teams are usable in play.

The discussion on the colors should continue, however. Just bear in mind that there will only be four teams, where Light, Wily, and King are the definite keepers.

May 09, 2016, 04:00:39 AM
Reply #7

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 04:00:39 AM »
In that case, I'm thinking the teams should retain their current colors, albeit with the palette changes posted above. Until v7 hits, I don't think we should worry about the Stardroid team.

I'm optimistic that Zandronum will see 8-team support at some point down the road, but it's a shame that it isn't possible now.

May 09, 2016, 04:01:56 AM
Reply #8

Knux

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 04:01:56 AM »
Games with 4 teams are rarely played, so I don't see why having 6 teams would be a good idea.

May 09, 2016, 04:07:46 AM
Reply #9

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 04:07:46 AM »
EDIT: Let me just spoil this up, it's hella ugly.

(click to show/hide)

EDITEDIT: Also

(click to show/hide)

May 09, 2016, 11:47:36 PM
Reply #10

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Re: Changing Team Colors: A New Team?!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 11:47:36 PM »
Well, I sure feel dumb.
I regret to inform people that, unlike Zdoom, Zandronum cannot have more than four teams defined in TEAMINFO.
What's this mean for us?
Well on the color switching side...not much, but for the other half of this topic, it means that the Stardroid and Mr. X teams won't be coming in v5. It's possible they could be added later if Zandro catches up to ZDoom in that department, but it won't be happening yet.
However, there IS the possibility that never happens, so I ask instead:
Do we replace the Cossack Team with King and make the purple team into Stardroids?
I'm expecting a resounding "no" because I like Cossack and would be sad to see him go, and I expect many other people hold this opinion as well.

Also, to defend green Cossack, his castle is green and his tie is green. Green clearly means something to the guy, and it makes about as much sense as Wily being red because he's evil.
Also, green is another general team color, like red and blue, and I'd like to see it in the game.

To comment on Gumball's colors, I like them aside from King's; it looks a bit too brown for my tastes.
I also think X's colors are a bit too similar to Junk Shield, but that doesn't exactly matter at this point.

May 09, 2016, 11:48:44 PM
Reply #11

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 11:48:44 PM »
If you remove Cossack I will riot.

May 10, 2016, 12:06:37 AM
Reply #12

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:06:37 AM »
Cossack is one of The Three, you can't remove Cossack. If we're going by this, then only Mr. X makes sense to persist since every single team is centered around a human character: Mr. X Team being purple or green makes more sense than Cossack being green instead of orange/yellow.

4 humans (Light, Wily, Cossack, Mr. X), 4 colors (blue, red, yellow, green).

May 10, 2016, 12:46:42 AM
Reply #13

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:42 AM »
The King team is used in the campaign, it's unlikely we'll be removing it.

May 10, 2016, 01:37:48 AM
Reply #14

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 01:37:48 AM »
Cossack already gets shafted enough in-universe
he needs all the help he can get

keep him in :ugeek: