Advanced Search

Author Topic: Need elaboration about the two difficulty options  (Read 1514 times)

May 29, 2020, 11:50:58 AM
Read 1514 times

Offline SereneDreemurr

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 23, 2019, 04:43:19 AM

• View Profile
Need elaboration about the two difficulty options
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:50:58 AM »
I didn't saw any threads about the bots in MM8BDM though, no one ever paid attention to them? What exactly do the two difficulty options (Skill and Bot Skill) do?

There're two skill options when creating offline skirmishes with bots. One is called "Bot Skill" and the other is simply "Skill".
The Bot Skill is easy to understand, they just aim better and have a more precise projectile prediction as you increase their skill level.
But the "Skill" one is confusing, I don't know what it does.

And since I mentioned difficulty, I might as well talk more about the "innate" skill level of bots, which is defined in BOTINFO.txt in the main package file.
In the said file, you can see lines like these:
accuracy = 1
intellect = 3
evade = 0
anticipation = 1
reactiontime = 2
perception = 1

These lines determine the innate skill of a bot and the example above is a standard skill level for most, if not all, bots. Let's name this bot BOT01.
I replaced all these numbers with 4 (which seems to be the maximum), for example:
accuracy = 4
intellect = 4
evade = 4
anticipation = 4
reactiontime = 4
perception = 4

Let's call it BOT02. Judging from those stats, BOT02 should be able to beat BOT01 with little to no problem. Then I did some more tests to see if my theory is right.
You can try this pk3 file I made to see how much they are improved. Make sure to set their skill level to 4 for maximum performance. Improved bots have EX in their name.

Mode: DM (1v1) and Team DM (5v5)
Map: MM2FLA (small enough for bots to have a guaranteed fight in 1v1)
Modifiers: Buckshot (for 5v5) and Instagib (for 1v1) so they always use the same weapon.
Game Skill Level: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
Participants: BOT01 (Standard Skill Level) and BOT02 (Superior Skill Level)

I did a total of 10 matches (2 per difficulty) and the outcome shows that BOT02 did outperform BOT01 (roughly 40% stronger), regardless of the game skill level setting. So my thought is, the "Bot Skill" affects them based on their own innate skill level...?

I hope there are people who also have interests in bots just like me.

June 13, 2020, 10:02:07 PM
Reply #1

Offline Bitblocker

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 11, 2019, 09:03:00 PM

• View Profile
Re: Need elaboration about the two difficulty options
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
I think skill refers to how 'skilled' your bots are in fighting.
I also have an interest in bots to. I make some.