Advanced Search

Author Topic: Camping with ThaMarine (a guide to Ghostbusting)  (Read 19179 times)

October 08, 2009, 11:36:00 AM
Read 19179 times

Offline ThaMarine

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 13, 2009, 09:13:47 PM

• View Profile
Camping with ThaMarine (a guide to Ghostbusting)
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Who ya gonna' call?

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

Allright, this is my guide to the class known as the Ghostbuster. One of the underpowered classes in GvH, however, my personal favourite. As I play much as the Ghostbuster, I assume I know something about how to set up the traps and which maps not to use and use him on.

Originally, the Ghostbusters went out of bussiness, so they slightly modified their equipment in order to catch Ghouls (and it worked!). I'm not covering the Proton Pack, because it is soon about to change and there ain't too much to cover right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4uxIo4t7xM - let this song play along for a better feel.

Ghostbuster and which maps to use him on

GvH01 - Forbidden Forest (small) - I don't recommend using the Ghostbuster on this map. The Proton pack is ineffective in the woods and there aren't places to tactically place the Ghost Traps. Stick to the center of the map unless a Jitterskull attacks, then run to the woods.

GvH02 - Megadeth Deathmatch - This is a good map if you are Ghostbuster (actually it's good for anyone). Place the Ghost traps on the spawn and make sure there are some on the walls for Jitters. Proton packs are just fine on this map, too.

GvH03 - Wagi Caves - One of my personal favourites when it comes to Ghostbustin', the Proton Pack works here pretty damn good. However, the places for traps here are great, they work almost everywhere. However, while camping, watch out for creepers as they can come out of any direction.

GvH04 - Claw Fist - Although this is one of my favourite maps, Ghostbuster doesn't do the best here, there's not much good places to set the traps on and the Proton Pack works moderately here. I'd choose another class on this map. However, there are some places for setting Ghost traps: The place by the "waterfall" is ok, I guess and the cave is also a good place for trap camping. If you have to, you can also set some traps behind the crates, but the creepers can come out of anywhere and Jitterskulls can always cross these crates.

The so called "crate cave".

GvH05 - Winter Haunting - On this map, the Ghostbuster is doing okay. Good places for traps are mostly inside: the passage that leads from the room with the doors to the room with 2 torches, the stairs, the room the stairs lead too and by the doors. There are some, however, in the outdoors (such as corners).

GvH06 - Arcade Souls - don't use him here, choose another class here. The corridors are high enough for the Sjases to be able to get out of the reach of your Ghost Traps, but yet not wide enough for you to be able to dodge. Choose any other human class here.

GvH07 - Dark Station - Don't use the Ghostbuster here, the Proton Pack is too inaccurate here and there's enough space for Ghouls to easily dodge the Traps. The towers are the only good places for Ghost traps as they have only 1 entrance. Also make sure you put a trap or a 2 in front of the tower.

GvH08 - Hunting Grounds - Just like the previous one, a great map, but not for the Ghostbuster (Proton Pack innaccurate, Traps ineffective).

GvH09 - Castle Ghoulenstein - This map is OK for the Ghostbuster, the Proton Pack does Ok and there are some places good for the Ghost Traps (does slightly better after Cutty has scaled down the outdoors), I'd reccomend choosing other classes though.

GvH10 - The Spire - I recommend using other classes (hunter or marine), the Proton Pack ain't too accurate here and there's no many places to put the Ghost traps on.

Endless War maps

GvH11 - Hollywood Holocaust - A great map for being a Ghostbuster. Many places to set traps on and to camp. As the indoor part is tight, the Proton pack works fine, too.

The cam room is also good for camping.

The vents are good for camping, but be careful because of Jitters.

2 or 3 traps at the door is a high chance to kill a Sjas or a Creeper.

GvH12 - Urban Decay - This map isn't good for a Ghostbuster, I suggest you take the... well, I don't suggest to play human here at all. This map is a heaven for Jitters and Sjases.

The only place you might consider camping at, be sure to trap all of the entrances.

An alternative camping place. If a Ghoul is coming by an elevator, be sure to throw some traps at it.

Note that I will add more info for each map.

Setting the traps

What makes the Ghostbuster different from other GvH classes is the fact he can set traps.

General tips:

- use the traps wisely, you only have 10 and you can't reload, but don't set only one

- try to stick with the others of you're not setting up traps

- if you're a human and see a Ghostbusters setting up traps, it's wise to go behing these traps and use them as a shield. Both you and the Ghostbuster will benefit from this

- setting the traps on/around teleporters is quite fun

- if you're surrounding yourself with traps, don't let creepers who shoot their balls at you scare you into activating your traps

How to and how not to set the traps on doorways

Don't set the traps exactly on doorways, because the Ghoul will pass right through only somewhat damaged.

This will kill the Ghoul, but it ain't worth setting 8 traps.

This is fine. You spent 5 traps, but you're now sure no Ghouls will pass through (except for a Jitterskull with a good timing or a very lucky Choke). You still have 5 traps left.

Expert camping for noobs

Some say camping is for n00bs, they may be right, but who said being an expert camper doesn't take skill?

Save your traps, but when it comes to camping it's OK to add an additional trap to the pile.

What's wrong with this picture? The traps are too close to you. A Sjas or a Creeper can easily scare you into activating traps because he's so close to you, yet he's just out of the reach of your traps so you have an urge to activate them.

This way, you have 3 traps that are close to you and 3 traps that are little farther. The advantages of setting your traps like this is that Ghouls can't stress you into activating traps because they're not close enough to scare you. However, if, for an example, a Sjas tries to get closer, just activate the traps and he's gone (you must be sure he's close enough for your traps to take him out).

As I mentioned before: If you're a human and see a Ghostbuster setting up traps like this, get behind them to use the traps as a shield and to take out other Ghouls. Both you and the Ghostbuster will benefit from this.

Creeperballs

If you surrounded your self with traps, a Creeper who sees you will probably try to scare you by launching his balls at you (lulz @ balls). I know you will have an urge to activate the traps as soon as he starts shooting, but don't. Instead try to act like your AFK in order to lure the Creeper into your traps (this sometimes works). Anyway, just don't let the Creeper scare you into activating those traps, he's afraid of you, too.

Also...

Try to make your Traps as less obvious and more of a suprise as you can. Make the Ghouls who are getting sucked in your Ghost trap yell: WTF?!

If your buddy is standing in one place and firing at incoming Ghouls, set traps around him so even if they get to him the traps suck them in. I'm saying this because the Ghouls probably won't notice the Traps if they're marching at that Cyborg.

THIS IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Cutman, sticky please.

October 08, 2009, 12:16:59 PM
Reply #1

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
Re: Camping with ThaMarine (a guide to Ghostbusting)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:16:59 PM »
Nice! This guide will have to get more complex when the new ghostbuster comes out, but I will reveal that the traps are gonna work just the same (except the ability to switch back to your weapon) so you shouldn't have to mess around with that too much.

I like the idea with the cyborg example, but it requires a bit of communication to get that to work well. Shame there's no voice chat.

October 08, 2009, 12:21:05 PM
Reply #2

Offline ThaMarine

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:21:05 PM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
I like the idea with the cyborg example, but it requires a bit of communication to get that to work well. Shame there's no voice chat.

I managed to do that a couple of times actually.

October 08, 2009, 12:45:21 PM
Reply #3

Offline Frits

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 01, 2009, 02:21:34 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:45:21 PM »
Nice guide
But I find traps very efficient in winter haunting, there are several great spots indoor to camp with the gb.
Also @ the spire the little room is a good place for traps as well.

October 08, 2009, 12:49:22 PM
Reply #4

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »
Also putting them around the walls near where the humans start is good because Jitterskulls often try to charge and end up bumping into the back walls (The Spire)

October 08, 2009, 12:55:34 PM
Reply #5

Offline Frits

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
Also putting them around the walls near where the humans start is good because Jitterskulls often try to charge and end up bumping into the back walls (The Spire)

Lies!, I always see you setting up epic rape in the little room :D

October 08, 2009, 12:57:01 PM
Reply #6

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »
Always? I've only done it a couple of times, usually because Jitterskulls get their act together and wait until I pull the trigger.

October 08, 2009, 01:20:14 PM
Reply #7

Offline Frits

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 01:20:14 PM »
Always? I've only done it a couple of times, usually because Jitterskulls get their act together and wait until I pull the trigger.

Riiiigghht  ;)

Also GVH08, an epic trap spot is near the window on top of the stairs.
And traps can be used as a diversion, eg: 2 entries to a room put an obvious trap in the middle of one entry and hide traps at the other entry.

October 09, 2009, 02:20:31 PM
Reply #8

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 02:20:31 PM »
Interesting, but i either wait or choose another target if a ghostbuster is trying to keep himself safe, as thankfully traps dont exist forever. :P
Moving REALLY close should scare them into triggering traps or if your Jitterskull perhaps you could scare them by charging near them yet not too close. :P

I wonder if people are gonna make any guides for other classes, perhaps i should make one for Jitterskull. :P

October 09, 2009, 02:23:18 PM
Reply #9

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »
Why not? As long as it teaches you how to read the opponent's mind and know what direction to charge  ;)

Creeper's are great for baiting ghost busters to use their traps. Sit back, throw a ball, watch them get scared and take them down as they try to escape  :p

Btw I might make the traps last longer.

October 09, 2009, 03:13:30 PM
Reply #10

Offline Frits

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »
Creeper's are great for baiting ghost busters to use their traps. Sit back, throw a ball, watch them get scared and take them down as they try to escape  :p

yesss :P, one ball and you got a hopping trap activating ghostbuster

October 09, 2009, 04:36:07 PM
Reply #11

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »
Heh, indeed, or a bloodball should do well too, wether it hits or not, the Ghostbuster might either use the traps, pick up his gun and chase Choke, or move away to a new position. Else Choke will most likely continue untill either change their minds.
Hmm... Maybe i will make a guide for Jitterskull, if i ever do i'll probaly first make one before i ever make a post to put it into.

This seems to have turned into a from how to use ghostbuster to how to utterly destroy ghostbuster topic. :P But any ghostbuster could consider the tactics we posted against them and hope for the best, its like betraying your strategy. :P

October 10, 2009, 08:46:59 AM
Reply #12

Offline ThaMarine

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »
Quote from: "Frits"

yesss :P, one ball and you got a hopping trap activating ghostbuster

Actually, no. A Creeper ball can't scare me to activate my traps. I know he should be afraid of me and my traps, not me of him.

October 10, 2009, 09:56:47 AM
Reply #13

Offline ThaMarine

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 09:56:47 AM »
Oops, I hit quote instead of edit. Mods, delete this post pls.

October 10, 2009, 01:33:03 PM
Reply #14

Offline Frits

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
Quote from: "ThaMarine"
Actually, no. A Creeper ball can't scare me to activate my traps. I know he should be afraid of me and my traps, not me of him.

If you don't know where he's comming from you'll activate them, better safe than sorry.