Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ryuga_Knight's House of Maps (new single map Fourside!!!)  (Read 14142 times)

February 18, 2011, 10:53:38 PM
Read 14142 times

Offline Ryuga_knight

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 04, 2010, 02:11:44 AM

• View Profile
Ryuga_Knight's House of Maps (new single map Fourside!!!)
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:38 PM »
Ok my new store (thread) of my maps:

Map Packs:
Ryuga Map pack V4
http://www.mediafire.com/?pcbuvdkuk3y68u5
The majority of maps have been taken out as most were not that good, all others have been redone with new weapons and added features. The maps available are; The Training grounds, Shadowman's Ninja Mansion, Wily's Thermal Plant, Pink Park, Yakumo family house (Touhou), Navy Fleet, as well as two duel maps; Mr.X Colosseum, and the Fusion Reactor.  

Old Versions:
http://www.mediafire.com/?t3ic7dgh3hfw874 RYUMAPPACK_V3
http://www.mediafire.com/?7b28ly64qy00g0w RYUMAPPACK_V2
http://www.mediafire.com/?kc3ggm85hwam2gc RYUMAPPACK_V1

single maps:
Nyan Cat Duel map:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7701rri8guo8uo3
Fourside From Earthbound!
http://www.mediafire.com/?k537lul10jp1awc

Canceled map projects Maps:
Mu:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sxf4qeg31ctz7l1

Link to my house of skins: http://cutstuff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1417

February 18, 2011, 10:57:28 PM
Reply #1

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Re: Ryuga_Knight's House of Maps (new Beta up)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
In before whining because "WAAH PLATFORMING IN A GAME ABOUT PLATFORMING."

Looks neat to me. Now we wait for a mapping expert to come in and prove me wrong, wot wot.

March 17, 2011, 02:47:21 AM
Reply #2

Offline Ryuga_knight

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Ryuga_Knight's House of Maps (new Ryuga Map pack V1 up!)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:47:21 AM »
RYUMAPPACK_V2 UP
Maps Added:
SplashWoman's Castle
&
Dr.Light's Shrinking Lab

March 17, 2011, 11:55:56 AM
Reply #3

Offline Jennifer

• Standard Member

• *Flaps arms*
  • Date Registered: October 31, 2010, 03:59:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
What happened to the Promised Mu map?

March 17, 2011, 11:58:01 AM
Reply #4

Offline Awbawlisk

• Warrior

• I can now see the rest of my medals again.
  • Date Registered: January 04, 2011, 02:18:59 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
Very nice lookin maps. I really like the colosseum map most of all. I cant wait to test these.

March 18, 2011, 01:10:31 AM
Reply #5

Offline Ryuga_knight

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 01:10:31 AM »
Quote from: "Obelisk"
Very nice lookin maps. I really like the colosseum map most of all. I cant wait to test these.

HAve fun and tell me what you think after you've tested them.

March 19, 2011, 05:39:56 AM
Reply #6

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
Re: Ryuga_Knight's House of Maps (new Ryuga Map pack V2 up!)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:39:56 AM »
Training Ground looks bland, and I feel that the weapons are clumped instead of evenly spread.  Also, put something at the end of that hallway so someone might actually go back there.

I didn't explore Shadow Mansion very long, but it's very difficult to jump over to reach the Eddie.  Think there may be a spike glitch.  All for now.

Large Desert is simply too big to be enjoyable, and weapons also seem to be scarce here.

Splash Castle would actually do great as Splash-Woman's stage--with modifications.  I'd change the tiles to the various pipes and such seen in her stage, and replace Crystal Eye with Laser Trident (if it exists yet) .
Also, the edges of the Light sign are Airman.

Shrinking Lab is an okay stage, but it feels odd because you can't shoot out onto the normal-sized area.  The bots can see you, you can see them--you just can't hit each other.  Either fully box in the area, or figure out how you could do this.

Duel Arena--actually, no comment on Duel Arena.  Never have I seen such a balanced room with so many broken weapons.

Thermal Plant has too many powerful weapons.  Trolling Cutter, Youmad Cracker, MIRROR BUSTER...do you expect to be housing the entire troll army here?

Also, for some reason, Eddie keeps giving me Centaur Flash.  I'm not complaining, but still.

March 19, 2011, 09:54:37 PM
Reply #7

Offline Ryuga_knight

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »
Quote from: "CHAOS_FANTAZY"
Training Ground looks bland, and I feel that the weapons are clumped instead of evenly spread.  Also, put something at the end of that hallway so someone might actually go back there.

I didn't explore Shadow Mansion very long, but it's very difficult to jump over to reach the Eddie.  Think there may be a spike glitch.  All for now.

Large Desert is simply too big to be enjoyable, and weapons also seem to be scarce here.

Splash Castle would actually do great as Splash-Woman's stage--with modifications.  I'd change the tiles to the various pipes and such seen in her stage, and replace Crystal Eye with Laser Trident (if it exists yet) .
Also, the edges of the Light sign are Airman.

Shrinking Lab is an okay stage, but it feels odd because you can't shoot out onto the normal-sized area.  The bots can see you, you can see them--you just can't hit each other.  Either fully box in the area, or figure out how you could do this.

Duel Arena--actually, no comment on Duel Arena.  Never have I seen such a balanced room with so many broken weapons.

Thermal Plant has too many powerful weapons.  Trolling Cutter, Youmad Cracker, MIRROR BUSTER...do you expect to be housing the entire troll army here?

Also, for some reason, Eddie keeps giving me Centaur Flash.  I'm not complaining, but still.

Training grounds is meant to be bland, it isn't for fighting but training

The Eddie thing isn't a glitch it's one of the many traps.

Shriking Lab, was just a small gimmick stage I made in like half an hour. If you want to try and fix it go ahead.

Duel arena was one of my better ideas, just you and your opponent and a variety of different weapons.

Thermal Plant was my first attempt at a stage

Large desert, is meant to be large and weapon scarce.

As for Splashwoman I agree I just don't have luck putting in custom tiles, also my original plan was to put Lazer Trident in the place of crystal eye, but I couldn't fine one. :( The air man parts are left intentionally.

Do not know why Eddie keeps giving you that, maybe you're just lucky? O.o

March 21, 2011, 10:50:17 AM
Reply #8

Offline Awbawlisk

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
The shadow man stage pissed me off when I was like playing hide n seek with one bot while testing it. I never really found him until I found just that 1 fake wall leading me to the fake spike pit. But still pretty nice map (and nice thinkin on the traps) eddie trap I think was really smart to do  :shock:

April 25, 2011, 01:58:04 AM
Reply #9

Offline Ryuga_knight

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Ryuga_Knight's House of Maps (new Ryuga Map pack V3 up!)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 01:58:04 AM »
RYUMAPPACK_V3 IS NOW UP! 2 NEW MAPS and 1 REDONE MAP!

April 25, 2011, 10:52:12 PM
Reply #10

Offline Ryuga_knight

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »
Quote from: "Travis"
What happened to the Promised Mu map?

Once I get someone to make me an 8-bit version of the Mu theme It'll be good to go.

April 26, 2011, 04:26:36 AM
Reply #11

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
Re: Ryuga_Knight's House of Maps (new Ryuga Map pack V3 up!)
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:36 AM »
Quote from: "Ryuga_knight"
RYUMAPPACK_V3 IS NOW UP! 2 NEW MAPS and 1 REDONE MAP!

RYU01- So far, the most difficult weapons to get here are Rain Flush and Water Wave. With Top Spin present, they hardly
even matter. Leaf Shield makes more weapons useless as the game literally would turn into "Leaf Shield / Metal Blade / Top Spin" as weapons that COULD be useful (like Knuckle or Knight Crush) are just thrown out. Also remember that in v1c, Leaf Shield/ Ballade Cracker cancelling was THE SCORN OF THE EARTH (see: it lead to stalling in duels) and put them next to eachother and an etank is just... a bit much. Without Leaf Shield, weapons like water wave/snake might become useful. As of now not really, because I just grab Leaf, Spin, and Bass/Metal and just steamroll with those. Consider Power Stone here and not... Saku. Magnet Missiles would also work really well here, but then you might need to keep Leaf Shield. I would just recommend against the e-tank in general.

As for map design - it's bland, but not because it's "TRAININGGROUND" (add a space in map name) - you want BASIC, not bland. Add a bit more division in the main area to separate it some so it doesn't feel like one screen. In fact, a giant divisor of some kind - wall, gorge, whatever to make two sectors would probably help you. If not that, add more "platforms" to provide for a little more cover.

Immediate fix: Add "block monsters" linedefs. (something like this, check an official map if it's not the exact command) You need to be able to stop bots from walking into pits. Example: MM4DC1 has spikes; bots don't walk into the spikes because of block monsters linedef. This doesn't apply to the first map but to most of them, so... do it.

RYU02: Weapon placement is a bit better here, minus Gyro Attack. You work so hard to stumble into a secret room to get.. the almighty Gyro Attack? Unfortunately, in v1d Loneyou have lost use of your full cancelling powers. What WOULD make sense is Grystal Eye, Top Spin(in one stage that involves ninjas Top Spin is absent?), Atomic Fire, etc. but you throw in Crystal Eye. I also was unable to get Eddie here- upon landing after the jump, I died instantly (regardless if I hit the edge or the wall of the alcove). The Metal Blade spawn- you can't go back into the hallway without crouching (which is disabled 90% of the time) so that passage needs to be raised. The main problem in this map is the long, tall ceilings. They simply take too long to get through as they're uninteresting at the moment. Shrink them a great deal, unless the intent of the map is "walk down hallways for a long time; accidently fall into pits/lasers/etc."

RYU03: Ooh, now we have an interesting map(despite it being the first). I would argue against the "too many power weps" and instead argue: too many power weapons at ground level/odd places. I spawn and get: Mirror Buster, Spark Shock, and Sakugarne. What's wrong with this? Sakugarne is customarily hidden as an "easter egg" weapon - it's in MMCTF05 and I didn't know about it for months (scary, I know. this is before I was Roc olo. Same with the Mirror Buster spawn in MM6MRX). Napalm's current spot seems like a much better location for Atomic, Saku, or Mirror; but Saku and Mirror desperately want to be more hidden. This map is screamimg "ADD SKULL BARRIER!" because if you give it to yourself, there are actually two "lava pathways" (one of them with the yashichi) that you can traverse between rooms. Now instead of adding a gimmick like the yash, you can add Mirror Buster in a corridor that branches off a lava tunnel! (or Mtank!) and now you've got a cool gimmick. (I LOOKED for the skull barrier here) Oh yeah, make sure Skull Barrier is hidden at well. In fact, that's your problem: pretty much no weapon is out of the way from a spawn at all, except Napalm... which makes no sense. "Easy to get" weapons would be things like: tomahawks, shadow blades, snakes, pharoah shot, star crash, gemini lasers(which would fit here), quick boomerangs, etc. "moderate-power weapons" and your "high-power weapons" like napalm, RMkiller weapons go away.

part 2!: This map seems to lack a "central focus area" that allows for a great deal of fighting. It can have more than one(most symmetrical maps do) but right now everything feels like a hallway or transition spot. Imagine if Darkman's castle was all crowded stairs - you'd struggle to engage in a battle at all! Expanding some of the rooms such as the "protoman/item-1" room would allow for powerups to be hidden/dispersed a bit more easily (i'd suggest axing proto or bass, as well as Arm to due to probable uselessness here). This map, ironically I see as having the most potential / best layout so far (despite it being your first). Work on the "32x32" thing - does that apply here? Iron out inconsistencies (in the teleporter spawn across from Napalm, you can jump on one of the elevated rock platforms but not the others - this makes no sense) and perhaps make it a little more dynamic and wily. (har) Also perhaps look into gimmicks like bridges, firetraps, and such - this map is such a good start! In fact, as a reward I'll give you this 8-bit music freebie. New music would be appreciated heavily for these maps, btw.

part 3!: Too much lava between platforms. The amount of lava is fine; the platforms need to be continguous. What will happen here is: minor lag/knockback from enemies: needless deaths. Connect the dots a bit more, man! You don't want this to be a remix map, do you!?!? (increase size by about 1000% and you might. Dohoho. I'm far too kind to remix maps. In jest, of course. ;D This is more important, forget that I put it at part 3. needless deaths ARE REALLY BAD!

RYU04: I assume this is a joke map... If not, charge kick AT THE LEAST would be necessary to uh, get around. It's as large as it is pointless. It's like if you took Skull Castle Entrance, stripped 80% of the content and then quintupled the size. I would recommend not progressing with this map.

RYU05: This is the opposite of RYU03: Too much "large open areas" and not enough sub-areas. Mixing this map style with O3's would be good, but you ahve to remember: water stages are SLOW. I hate them, and fundamentally you need to add "power weapons" to help speed it up. Charge Kick for mobility; you have bass for buster spam. Air Shooter is good but you want more power weapons here: Gravity Hold would help a lot (olololo) as would tomahawks, blades, blades, knight crush, magnets, blades, and so on(these are just suggestions). Also the ceilings bug me a bit- are you using 32x32? Look at CMM's topic; iirc it mentions this. So far these maps greatly lack a "mega man feel" or at the least the feel set by the official/Ivory maps that you want to get recognition. (X's original feel on the other hand is good enough to stand on it's own. Map philosophies don't really belong here right now, though <.<) I in part blame it on ceilings and hallways that are too long. (also not enough Slumps; remember most halls in previous maps involve a turn quickly. You want a map with long halls, sure, but very few, and it make it a castle. Knight Man probably has the longest halls I can think of).

RYU06: I assume this is another joke map, or in the "5% finished" stage. You have... spark shock, mirror, and dust crusher. What?!? How can you possibly expect to have a deathmatch if Mirror Buster is your strongest weapon!?! For one, Mirror Buster is hidden because Bots have infinite ammo. (Bots with mirror buster are huge lulz). The other thing being: no interaction between worlds, and I'm not really getting the "shrunk world" besides that my eyes hurt a little. Etank is also in plain sight and this is deplorable. This could be a cool concept but right now it's not even bare bones.

RYU07: YES I ALWAYS WANTED TO PLAY ON A STAGE THAT REMINDS ME OF ONE OF MY HATED TLMS OPPONENTS, GYROMAN! This is the best map since 03- you have a good deal of expressing a theme here (park/playground). One: I LOATHE any sort of powerup spawn being next to something else. It doesn't look symmetrical, and this is the Etank/Starcrash. Etank has to go, because ETANKS ARE NOT NECESSARY FOR A DM STAGE AND NEED TO BE HIDDEN. (that's a basic pointer, I yapped at X for it too for XDM04. Dun feel bad) The water bothers me here: add spikes into the water (frankly, the cones are not enough) but WHY IS WATER WAVE SO VALUED!?!? It's got weapon energy comparable to crash bombs(e.g. far too high consuming to be useful). What's another stage that has a weapon surrounded by a deathpit? That's right, MM6YAM, and the weapon is Atomic Fire. (which is kinda silly because you have cutter sometimes... ah well) It's not terribly difficult to get but I worry that fps slowdown/lag would cause trouble online.  Next: The maze needs to be a little wider; right now it's "bumpy" and you can't get through it without hitting walls. A lot. I'd personally make the trees here transparent (a la CSCM04) to add a gimmick. Gimmicks would help these maps, yo BUT NOT THINGS LIKE THE RANDOM DEATHPIT IN RYU01. Those are no good. IMO Star Crash / Top Spin is a bad mix and I feel top spin is unnecessary here- Top Spin makes things one-sided VERY quickly. Another power weapon would suffice. Cutter? Thawks? I dunno. You figure that one out. =P

Also: WHY DOES THE MUSIC RANDOMLY CHANGE TO DRILLMAN. I had it happen on another map (RYU01 I think) and this reeks of "unfound bug!" - the music randomly changes to DrillMan here, and I liked my R&F Tengu Man playing in the background, and then you just through in tenguman. No good. :<

RYU08: What is this, dawg? We get to a map that needs top spin and you lack it. That's all I'm gonna say here. I would say "larger boats, smaller lakes" and make the boats form a circle or connect them SOMEHOW so that you can't get very far past the boats, imo. Bigger boats = more fighting on land, which is good. Weapon set could also use tweaking here - get creative, I'm running out of ideas here. Immediate ideas though are: Top Spin, axe etank, Hyper Bombs (if they work on water, I forget) and so on.

Anyway soak that in if you want, the majority the maps (EXCEPT O3 and O7) seem to lack a finished theme (05's execution is lost due to absurd size). Here's one thing I'm noticing: it seems you like to add weapons that reflect stage design, like putting water waves in water, or power stone in stones. I'm against this; I feel it pigeonholes weapons into places where they are not actually useful. Make the stage, then say "what weapon would be useful?" then: "how useful is this weapon? The more useful weapons I'll make harder to get directly from spawns" generally and then "if this weapon is god-crushing, make it really convoluted to get to!"and if you want I can apply this to EXISTING maps for examples (if you try to do this, you'll see it a lot). Take Snakeman: Needle Cannon, Blade, Napalm on "ground" - Bass, Star Crash, Snakes require jumping to get to (tier-2 weapons), Rainflush, Fire Blast, etank require extensive climbing (tier-3). Weapon tiering- think about it in terms of weapon placement. In order of "maps that could be refurbished into something really good" - start with 03, 07, and 05, with 01 and 02 being slightly meh-ish and possible but would require more diversity. The others I would throw out or consider needing 98% additions to make a map. I would like new music as well(I'm a stickler for this, but I can help if you want).

July 04, 2011, 11:32:43 PM
Reply #12

Offline Ryuga_knight

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Ryuga_Knight's House of Maps (new Ryuga Map pack V4 up!)
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »
NEW smaller BUT BETTER RYUGA MAP PACK V4 IS OUT!

July 04, 2011, 11:44:36 PM
Reply #13

Offline Awbawlisk

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »
uh its the bak file of ryu map pack.. Is that bad?

July 05, 2011, 12:47:16 AM
Reply #14

Offline Ryuga_knight

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »
Quote from: "Awbawlisk"
uh its the bak file of ryu map pack.. Is that bad?

No just erase the .bak part, or redownload it in it's proper version.