Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Game Mode] Light vs. Wily  (Read 15072 times)

August 11, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
Read 15072 times

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
[Game Mode] Light vs. Wily
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:34 PM »

After Dr. Wily's latest defeat at the hands of the heroic tournament robot, Dr. Wily went into hiding, feverishly working to put his latest scheme into action. Using his last precious strains of Evil Energy, Dr. Wily retrieved the parts of the Evil Robot from orbit and restored it to working order. With a tamper-proof mechanism in place to ensure it didn't run haywire, the destructive power of the Evil Robot was firmly in Dr. Wily's grasp. The world was settling into its period of peace when cities around the world suddenly found themselves under attack by Wily's forces.

In order to quell the assailants, Dr. Light beckoned Duo to earth to aid in confronting them. However, in his earthly body, Duo was unable to fell the renegade robot. Backed into a corner, Dr. Light and Dr. Cossack worked tirelessly to restore him to his original form using schematics he proffered, hoping to give him the edge he needed. Now capable of fighting back against his adversary, the doctors dispatched Origin Duo alongside a slew of their Robot Masters, outfitted to fight against these new threats.

--

Introducing Light vs. Wily, the MM8BDM adaption of Light vs. Dark from Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's a Team Deathmatch gamemode with a Terminator twist.

How to Play: Two teams engage in Team Deathmatch, as in the vanilla gamemode. Each team sports a collective health gauge that depletes as players on that team are fragged. When the team's gauge hits zero, the last player on that team to be defeated spawns as a boss (Origin Duo or Evil Robot) and the gauge will then represent the boss's health. The objective of the gamemode is to defeat the enemy team's boss while protecting their own. When the enemy team's boss is defeated, your team wins.

The Bosses: When a player spawns as a boss, they are given a Giga Fist weapon (Duo Fist without the punch or mid-charge). They will also receive a number of special "giga" weapons, which are effectively beefed up copy weapons, such as those used by the Evil Robot in the Chapter 8 boss battle, though to a lesser extent. For instance, Giga Super Arm rips a meteor out of the ground and hucks it at hapless targets. They also receive Instagib movement, meaning increased speed and jump height. As a drawback, the boss cannot heal, so it is in the interest of the team to support their boss.

Download v1a here:
Best Ever | Dropbox

Quick note for server hosts: be sure to enable forced respawns -- otherwise, it becomes super easy to abuse. Also, a win limit of 2 is recommended.

(For v1, giga weapons are not included. Those may be implemented in a later version.)

Screenshots:
(click to show/hide)
Please note that nothing is set in stone and is subject to change.

(click to show/hide)

Notes:
• While the gamemode plays like a Team Deathmatch mod, it actually runs in Team Last Man Standing with a handful of ACS scripts at work.
• The mod sports team-colored Mega Busters (and lingering weapons like Ice Wall and Copy Vision), Lego's horizontal bar changes, and RushJet1's VRC6 takes on the final boss theme.
• 100% no altfires

The Team:
Gumballtoid - Project head, spriter, Decorate
Lego - ACS and Decorate
Dr. Freeman - Music looping
LlamaHombre, Magnet Dood, SmashBroPlusB - Additional hands, playtesters

With Help From:
Korby and Rui (UI sprite changes)
Jatea, Watzup7856, Spikeboy, Thunderono, xColdxFusionx, Jman, Captain Barlowe (Additional playtesters)

And if you try to make this compatible with classes, I will personally crucify you.

August 12, 2014, 12:01:33 AM
Reply #1

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
Re: [Game Mode] Light vs. Wily - WIP Team Game
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:01:33 AM »
Holy crap, this sounds awesome! I'd love to see how this comes out. Good luck to you guys!

August 12, 2014, 12:32:31 AM
Reply #2

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »
I had an idea for a team hp bar mod a looong time, and everybody called me crazy.

Then this happens.

Looks good tho.

August 12, 2014, 05:45:25 AM
Reply #3

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:45:25 AM »
you could just give both of the bosses time stopper and make them both immune to time freeze effects.
that way the weapon would be used primarily for getting away from the enemy team in a pinch, but if they're coordinated well, the enemy boss can hunt you down and finish you off.

August 12, 2014, 08:45:53 AM
Reply #4

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »
Woah it looks sugoi ne, it's so attractive

However I doubt the "boss" will need to be protected if he's able to shoot giga fists without charging, that's very threatening, it's like a slower firing mega buster but with giant 50+ damaging projectiles isn't it

August 12, 2014, 01:44:39 PM
Reply #5

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »
Actually how it works currently [at its very basic and unfinished level] you have to charge the giga fist in order to shoot it. This is so the boss has a reason to use their other weapons.
Additionally the boss cannot pick up or use any conventional weapon, item, or even health and ammo pickups so they rely solely on their monstrous health and the so-called Giga Weapons.

On a side note, I do love how Gumball extended the plot lines for the Wily Tower campaign and the Megaman 8 campaign to fit with this mod, it felt quite nice to see.

Also don't make judgements based on simple pictures, because while a picture's worth a thousand words, a thousand words only go so far in terms of describing situations and certain features may look different than how they actually play.

August 12, 2014, 03:57:22 PM
Reply #6

Offline IamaMedalHunter

• MM8BDM Extender

• Whimsical Metal Cyclops
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2014, 12:00:09 AM

• View Profile
    • Medal's Youtube, idk, I'm not a YTber
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »
Wow, it already looks awesome. I bet everyone can't wait for this. But they'll have to >:D.

Planned Giga Weapons:
• MM1: Super Arm
• MM2: -
• MM3: -
• MM4: Drill Bomb
• MM5: -
• MM6: -
• MM7: -
• MM8: Flame Sword
• MM&B: Copy Vision
OK, going to make suggestions for the Giga Weapons. Though, I don't know what Giga D.Bomb and Giga C.Vision will do ...

MM2 : Giga Bubble Lead -> The Boss punches the ground, wrapping itself inside a giant bubble which halves the damage done to the Boss, and sending going-straight Bubble Leads in a Touhou Maze of Love pattern. While shooting the bubbles, the Bosses can't move.
This AoE water attack is very effective at close range.
This is a Maze of Love for those who never seen one before :
(click to show/hide)

MM3 : Giga Gemini Laser -> The Boss first shoots a huge bouncing laser which bounces for a time before spliting into 2 big lasers. After bouncing for the same amount of time than the huge laser, a big laser splits into 3 medium lasers. And when a medium laser bounced for this same amount of time, it splits into 4 standard G.Lasers.
This closed-areas-controlling weapon can be used again after a cooldown long enough to make sure the huge, big and medium lasers are gone.

MM5 : Giga Gyro Attack -> The Boss sends 3 giant cutting propellers surrounded by wind, making them even sharper. Pressing the Main Att. button again causes the gyros to split in 2 à la Vanilla, but these smaller projectiles can't emit wind, making them deal less damage than the big G.Attacks.
This shotgun-like wind weapon has a moderate cooldown.

MM6 : Giga Blizzard Attack : The Boss must charge this weapon. Charging for 4 seconds gives the Boss a Blizzard Charge, indicated by a snow flake or some ice ball that will follow the Boss. A maximum of 4 Charges can be accumulated. Releasing the attack button sends the Blizzard Charges in front of the Boss, those Charges staying in front of him for the duration of the attack.

A single Blizzard Charge shoots 4 couples of big snowflakes before splitting into a big Blizzard Attack.
2 Blizzard Charges merge together and shoots 8 couples of big snowflakes before splitting in 2 successive big Blizzard Attacks.
Then you get the idea for 3 and 4 Blizzard Charges.

If the Boss still charges for 9 other seconds after getting the 4th Charge, a fifth Charge is given, indicated by the Boss's colors glowing. Releasing the 5 charges makes the Blizzard Charges merge with the Boss in 2 seconds before having the Boss shoot many fast and spiked ice projectiles à la Giga Homing Sniper. But after shooting all of this ice, the Boss must cooldown for a long time. Ironic, isn't it ?

This ice weapon can be used as a chargeable chaingun/minigun.

MM7 : Giga Noise Crush : The Boss sends damaging sound waves in a circle fashion around him. If a wave touches someone else, it bounces back to the Boss. Upon receiving the reflected sound wave, there's a charge animation of 0.5 seconds. After this animation, the Boss sends a bigger and much faster ripping sound wave circle, dealing heavy damage to the enemies nearby who forgot to take cover. The Boss can't move for 2 seconds after firing the first N.Crush, nor in the charge animation, nor after firing the 2nd N.Crush for 3 seconds. Again, a cooldown is necessary before firing another Giga N.Crush, this cooldown being longer if the 2nd Giga N.Crush is fired.
This darkness weapon is another AoE weapon and is as rather risky as rewarding.

March 13, 2016, 11:19:50 PM
Reply #7

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 11:19:50 PM »
Howdy, folks. After a year and a half of stagnant development, we decided to forgo the giga weapons for the time being and push a release to help breathe some variety into the server list.

And here it is!

Light vs. Wily v1a:
Best Ever | Dropbox

Quick note for server hosts: be sure to enable forced respawns -- otherwise, it becomes super easy to abuse.

Of course, please report any bugs you may find here in the topic. Feedback is, of course, welcome.

March 13, 2016, 11:30:08 PM
Reply #8

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
mostly Lego tho
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 11:30:08 PM »
Lego and I helped :>

March 13, 2016, 11:39:36 PM
Reply #9

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
it was pretty much all lego tho
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 11:39:36 PM »
I also helped

This mode is super fun though. Can't wait to see the servers get packed so we have bigger playerbases instead of just the small test servers.

I do feel like I ought to ask this, though, for those who might be interested: are the giga weapons currently inside the wad, or are they removed for this build completely? Would be neat to take a look at their code and stuff if they're in there.

March 13, 2016, 11:42:40 PM
Reply #10

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success

• View Profile
I had to comment the entire thing
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 11:42:40 PM »
In the interest of keeping the filesize down (and not leaking our dank secrets), all assets relating to the giga weapons are removed from this build.

On the other hand, the entirety of the ACS file that handles the game mode is out in the open. Any aspiring coders may find it interesting.

March 13, 2016, 11:59:49 PM
Reply #11

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
Re: [Game Mode] Light vs. Wily
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 11:59:49 PM »
Put up a server!
[BE] Montreal :: Light Vs Wily
192.99.6.150:15097

March 14, 2016, 02:11:35 AM
Reply #12

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 02:11:35 AM »
May I ask, will the Kid Icarus "Stage Clear" theme be added in as your side's victory theme?

Overall, I didn't really like playing the mod myself, considering the life drain aspect Origin Duo and Evil Robot receive (even if it was a part of the original game). I do like the concept especially I'm all for porting game modes from other games, but this execution leaves something to be desired, in my tastes.

The mod could deviate from being a straight-up port of Light vs. Dark and be altered in various aspects to overall improve the game experience, making it more enjoyable in this different type of gameplay style, with more "Light" and "Wily" characters to morph into, different soundtracks, and making O.Duo and E.Robot (and any other "leader" characters) feel more like powerhouses.

March 14, 2016, 02:28:20 AM
Reply #13

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 02:28:20 AM »
I mentioned it in the server and I brought it up to the devs themselves but I may as well post it here for discussion's sake

What if the HP drain's cap (which normally stops at 1 HP) scaled with the amount of players in the server?  That way, fuller servers could allow the boss a buffer to escape if his team's dying left and right (which would likely happen due to player saturation).

That said, this is a total blast to play.  I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that bosses aren't always self-sufficient-- in this instance, teamwork is required to keep the boss alive, and having a large team dissolve will only harm the boss.  Grouping up and moving around to take down enemies in tandem with the boss is the key to making comebacks happen.

March 14, 2016, 02:38:52 AM
Reply #14

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 02:38:52 AM »
I was wondering what this LvW thing you folks were testing was!

Can't wait to try this out sometime.