Advanced Search

Author Topic: Megaman GB Games (Rockman World)  (Read 7246 times)

May 24, 2014, 12:12:04 AM
Read 7246 times

Knux

Megaman GB Games (Rockman World)
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:12:04 AM »
I didn't find any threads for this in the search engine, so here's this one! Talk about the GB Megaman games.

I just downloaded MMV today on the 3DS VC, and it's a TOTAL BLAST! I don't know anything about the game, but I took Neptune down first, and I took no damage. He and his stage were quite easy. I took on Mercury next, and the difficulty suddenly escalated a fair amount. Gonna leave the rest for later, but so far, this game's great.

May 24, 2014, 12:15:42 AM
Reply #1

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
Re: Megaman GB Games (Rockman World)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 12:15:42 AM »
I only own Mega Man II for GB.

I actually like the game.

Okay.

May 24, 2014, 12:17:00 AM
Reply #2

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
I haven't really played too much of V myself. Probably will when I get around to playing III as well.

I have played IV though, and I'd argue it's better than both MM4 and MM5 myself. Great music, great levels overall.

Crystal Man's stage needs to just go toss itself in a fire, though. That stage is infinitely long and the checkpoint is at the beginning of the stage. Not fun.

EDIT: Not Suitable for Beed28 but I really like this video, very informative and fun overall.

(click to show/hide)

May 24, 2014, 01:43:41 AM
Reply #3

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 01:43:41 AM »
Like mmgb4, mmgb5 is really well made!
And the stardroids are original (it's not just the robotmasters), the musics are pretty good (underrated i think).

The fight are epic too, special the last ones! ; )

MMGB2 was pretty easy and weird sometimes but good.
MMGB1 was short but cool
MMGB3 was good, nothing to say, better than a lot of mmgb games i played (platform style)
MMGB4 is awesome, graphism, gameplay, music gameboy style of mm4 and 5 (and there is ballade! *-* )
MMGB5 is awesome and more epic than the 4, there is more items too, i remember!

Those games on the game boy are really good.... it was really well worked! :V

May 24, 2014, 02:33:40 AM
Reply #4

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 02:33:40 AM »
Dr. Wily's Revenge is okay as far as Mega Man games go. Cheap placement of spikes in a few places and an underwhelming first Wily stage hamper it, but it's still quite enjoyable. Fourth best of the five.
Mega Man II... It's a short game, it handles unlike any Mega Man game I've played, and the music makes me want to kill myself. Not a bad game, but bad as far as Mega Man goes. Fifth best of the five.
Mega Man III was generally enjoyable. A very solid game, a very solid weapon selection. Reasonably challenging without making your hair fall out. It even made Spark Shock useful. Third best of the five.
Mega Man IV took everything I liked about III and added more neat stuff to it. P Chip shop, cutscenes, and a smokin' soundtrack round it out. Seriously those cutscenes are great. Second best of the five.
Mega Man V is easily my favorite. Unique bosses and a unique weapon selection, lots of stuff to collect, Mega Man Killer redux, and a memorable soundtrack. Oh and don't forget Tango. Best of the five.

I have a nice wall of Mega Man in my Virtual Console folder and I love it.

May 24, 2014, 08:58:52 AM
Reply #5

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 08:58:52 AM »
Rockman World III was my first Megaman game (I own the cartridge). So naturally, when I got around to doing the actual NES series, I was confused when the robot masters were switched up.

The best weapon get theme in the classic series, there isn't any competition.
(click to show/hide)

May 24, 2014, 12:26:01 PM
Reply #6

Offline Geno

• MM8BDM Extender

• ❤ ❤ ❤
  • Date Registered: March 31, 2012, 10:07:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
The only GB Mega Man games I have are Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge, Mega Man II, Mega Man III, and Mega Man Xtreme 2.

All on cartridge. (Also, MMIII was my first Mega Man game to NOT be Anniversary Collection)

I'm sort of hoping that the digital releases of MMIV, & MMV may lower the prices on non-Japanese cartridge versions of the games, as it'd be odd for me to have the first three on cartridge, then the last two on Virtual Console.

Plus, with the 3DS, I couldn't used the SGB features of MMV! (Or, let alone even play it on a TV to begin with!)
AND I'd be stuck with the boring grey and "snot green" palettes that the 3DS has, because it doesn't even run the games in GBC mode!

And for some reason, I just prefer playing GB games on my GBA SP as opposed to my 3DS. Might have something to do with the 3DS's tiny A, B, X, & Y buttons.

I actually sort of tested this.
I got Game & Watch Gallery on both GB cart and 3DS download, and I've played the GB cart copy much more than the 3DS download copy. Which also means I've gotten further in the GB version.

I'm also able to beat most of MMII without taking damage, and also able to beat Spark Man stage in MMIII without taking damage.

May 24, 2014, 03:36:33 PM
Reply #7

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »
I'll just say, Geno, that there isn't much hope for IV or V falling in price anytime soon. The older they get, the rarer they get, which means that they'll just get more expensive. IV isn't too terribly expensive from what I remember- used cartridges go for around 40 dollars. Still expensive, but V costs like 100, so...

Anyway, I've got all five on cartridge, a fact I'm pretty proud of.

I is definitely a solid game, but it's a little dated compared to the sequels. I like the reduxed music, the new gimmicks and all the other little touches the game adds, but it lacks the polish of the last three. Fourth out of the five.
II holds a special place in my heart as the first cartridge Mega Man game I owned. That being said, it's short and the music is pretty screechy (I do like a couple of the compositions in the game though). Fifth out of the five.
III is probably my favorite out of the five, since it was a very fun and challenging without being ridiculously difficult. Good Robot Master selection, nice weapons, and fun stages. Dust Man can go die in a fire, though. First out of the five.
IV ties III however for the top spot. The cutscenes are beautiful, the bosses are all really fun, Ballade is awesome, the music is rocking, the weapons are all really good, aaaaaaa this game is amazing. First out of the five, tied with III.
V... I'm really not sure where to put V. It is a really fun game, but I never really liked it as much as III and IV. The final levels were a pain in the ass. Sunstar was cool though. Third out of the five.

May 24, 2014, 06:13:54 PM
Reply #8

Offline Geno

• MM8BDM Extender

• ❤ ❤ ❤
  • Date Registered: March 31, 2012, 10:07:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »
Quote from: "Magnet Dood"
I'll just say, Geno, that there isn't much hope for IV or V falling in price anytime soon. The older they get, the rarer they get, which means that they'll just get more expensive. IV isn't too terribly expensive from what I remember- used cartridges go for around 40 dollars. Still expensive, but V costs like 100, so...
I know.

The annoying thing is, since I can't really order stuff off of the internet myself yet, I have to get my dad to do it.
And he keeps telling me that he won't buy them for me because "I have to make sure I really want them".

Of course, it's been over two years that I have been looking for IV & V, so I might possibly want them.
And occasionally, a copy of MMV appears at my local used games store, but I'm ALWAYS ONE DAY LATE to get it.
They always end up selling it the day before I go there, whenever they get one. '~'

Dunno what's so wrong with trying to at least get IV, though. That one's $40, compared to the price of the average game today, which is around $50....

Hey, that's half of MMV's price!
(And, of course, NOW a whole ton of $80 MMVs show up! AFTER I use my money.
And at the time where I start saving up money for a convention!
Oddly, MMV appears to be more common than MMIV...)

May 25, 2014, 02:10:54 AM
Reply #9

Knux

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 02:10:54 AM »
Hm, I only have Dr. Wily's Revenge and MMV out of the GB collection. Since I'm hearing a lot of good stuff from IV, I'll probably get that one next.

May 25, 2014, 07:42:32 AM
Reply #10

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »
They're all worth playing at least once, but III-V are clearly a step above the first 2.

And don't neglect the MMX GB Color games while you're at it.

June 26, 2014, 09:31:37 PM
Reply #11

Knux

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »
Quite a late response, but I've heard Xtreme 2 greatly improved on Xtreme 1's faults. Thing about those two games is I think it would feel strange to be playing a Megaman X game in 8-bit... like, how would one go about wall-kick dashing? :X

June 26, 2014, 10:02:36 PM
Reply #12

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
In the first game once you have the boots you wall jump like you're dashing all the time, which is sometimes frustrating.  In the second game you don't, but you have air dashing so it generally works our okay.

The weird thing about the x-treme games, however, is how they break up the RMs into sets so you fight 4 in one mode, a different 4 in the other, and finally unlock the ability to do all 8.  I don't really get the point of that... or why they do similar nonsense in many otherwise great mm games, like MMV and MM&B.

June 26, 2014, 10:07:08 PM
Reply #13

Knux

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »
Makes me kinda wish they had codes to unlock all bosses from the start, like it should be. You know, like how MM7 had a password for such a thing. You could play the intro stage, then reset and input said password. I found the route system for MM&B annoying.

By the way, what's so terrible about Rockman World II that everyone bashes it for?

June 26, 2014, 10:53:33 PM
Reply #14

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
Mainly the music, level design, and lack of difficulty.

I love the game personally, but that's just me.