Advanced Search

Author Topic: [MAFIA] The Legend of Mafia - RIP 1  (Read 49991 times)

August 30, 2014, 12:38:46 AM
Reply #270

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
But I won't say in case the game goes on.
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2014, 12:38:46 AM »
Someone very dear to me, that is who.  :|  :ugeek:  :cool:

August 30, 2014, 12:41:20 AM
Reply #271

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
Re: [MAFIA] The Legend of Mafia - DAY 7
« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2014, 12:41:20 AM »
I doubt the game will go on, or else the day would have already changed by now.

August 30, 2014, 04:36:13 AM
Reply #272

Offline coolcat7022

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 27, 2013, 01:01:34 AM

• View Profile
Re: [MAFIA] The Legend of Mafia - DAY 7
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2014, 04:36:13 AM »
Korby hasn't revealed yet, I don't believe.

August 30, 2014, 05:22:16 AM
Reply #273

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
No one will ever trust Smashbro again
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2014, 05:22:16 AM »
Quote from: "coolcat7022"
Korby hasn't revealed yet, I don't believe.
'Scuse me! Korby flipped earlier, and Ivory was referring to me, unless he was mistaken as to who he thought was Ganondorf.
Quote from: "Ivory's post subject"
But I won't say in case the game goes on.
I asked KD whether he was going to bother updating further and he said "probably not", so I don't expect the game to continue. Consider this a definitive post on behalf of the villains.

Hello! Ganondorf here. I'm the one that has been killing you all these past two weeks. At least, I would like to say that, but the truth  is that my only successful kills were on Night 3 and Day 6; GBT and Thunder respectively, and even GBT was technically someone else's kill. Everyone else was killed by you, the heroes. Granted, villains contributed to lynches, but early on we wouldn't have been able to lynch a player without the support of heroes. We had a couple of plans set in motion to kill more players, but I don't suppose any of them will be actualised.

Here is my team's roles:
(click to show/hide)
The secret upgrades to the Triforce of Power and the Triforce of Wisdom were:
(click to show/hide)
Despite our slow start, I am confident my team was on the verge of victory; we could probably still win even with all of our roles revealed! This is because I knew every other player's role before people started flipping, save for Rozark's (I found his out after the mass-flip), Hilman's and Chaos_Fantazy's, and I know how the game would play out. How? I should elaborate on Smashbro's "meta-scumming", as OJ put it.

On Day 2, Smashbro made a seemingly-random post complimenting Accel with the subject "Re: [MAFIA] Farore's Wind - DAY 2". This was bait. Multiple players inferred this as Smashbro being cheeky and hinting at his identity, and got in communication with him via PM. Smashbro then made a fake role, claiming to be Farore (this was the first role he posted in the thread), and shared it with people in exchange for their roles. Smashbro reported all of this to my team. When the heroes started cooperating and made a private Skype chat, Smashbro was added to it. When the hero chat made a list of confirmed innocents, Smashbro was added to it. It seems no one ever reconsidered his innocence, despite obvious evidence suggesting otherwise. Process of elimination and careful reading of KD's plot snippets should have indicated that there were only three kinds of roles: Links, sages and Ganondorf & co.. There was no such thing as goddess roles; seriously, why did no one from the hero chat bat an eye at Farore appearing as an NPC?

Anyway, whenever someone from the hero chat found out a player's role and posted it in the chat, my team knew about it. As such, I could tell you that I knew 5 players that could revive others. 2 died on Day 6, 2 more would have died this phase, and the last was to be incapacitated this phase and killed next cycle. After that point, I believe there would have been no way for the heroes to recover. My team had enough vote-modifying powers to dominate the day phases, either forcing a majority vote or merely cancelling all votes for the day if it looked like one of us was in threat of being lynched, and I had two extra lives in the form of Smashbro dying in my place and me being able to secretly revive as Ganon. So the heroes' defeat was likely inevitable.

That said, I'm still disappointed in the people who gave up on the game early. Outside of the mass-flip, I've heard of dead players requesting to not be brought back into the game and people admitting to never really wanting to play in the first place. Players should be able to commit to the game as much as the host; giving up on Smashbro's game of mafia was reasonable since he himself gave up on it, but KD has been managing this consistently from the start. Lego and Ivory, you were set to die this phase so I wish you could have held out a little longer instead of triggering this domino effect of concession.

Since Smashbro's spy work influenced the game so much, let this stand as a lesson. To the heroes who weren't in the hero chat, this may seem incredibly unfair as this was a crucial part of the game that you were not involved in. However, blame those who were in the chat for clearly not spy-checking well enough and essentially feeding information to the villains. Without this, it is likely that the heroes would have fared much better. Communication in mafia games can be easily manipulated. Either put some forethought into adding players to your private Skype chat, or stay away from the medium entirely. Incorporating extended communication and cooperation in mafia games is an exciting prospect, but it seems players weren't able to quite handle the metagame it could provide.

August 30, 2014, 06:20:32 AM
Reply #274

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
And yes, I was referring to my super mapping bro
« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2014, 06:20:32 AM »
Since the cat is out of the bag, I would like to point out exactly why I think King Dumb utterly failed with the abilities, and the result is pretty clear when you look at the mafia cards.
Shade Guy, Ganondorf has about 3 extra lives (one of which regenerates) and numerous methods of reducing or negating lynching or other forms of death. Figuring out how to take out Ganondorf was far and beyond something I find 'fun', it's an annoying and tedious task in figuring out exactly how to do so, and it basically involves killing everyone else.

But even that is beyond absurd to do because all their abilities tended to synergize way too well. And this was rather evident during the main game, hardly anyone died by voting alone. Voting is the main point behind Mafia, no? And King Dumb's abilities effectively reduced the power of voting. It turned into a game of those with useful abilities engaging in an ability war. This is why I flipped, I found the design behind this mafia to be utterly infuriating.

King Dumb himself is a very good host, he updates in a timely manner and he had an interesting concept, the only thing I feel went completely off the rails was the type of cards he made for this mafia game.

August 30, 2014, 06:42:38 AM
Reply #275

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
Operation Train Mystery
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2014, 06:42:38 AM »
Well, No, I never trust spies with my most sensitive work.
I personally was well aware that no goddesses existed. With the amount of links and sages that there were possibilities for, there was no possible way for the goddesses to even exist.
I knew most of the time that something was up with Smash.
I knew he was a spy, yet, I thought he was Dark Link. That part I was wrong at.
Also you knew everyone's role before the flip minus mine and a few others? That's odd, considering I was in the demolished LANK BUNKER, don't you think?

"But Rozark why didn't you warn us/you're lying!"
Due to the nature of how mafia works, you can't really trust anyone.
However, Smash left behind multiple clues (Goddess card, The description of the card, his mafia track record/fairly certain he's done this before, etc) One day (Around day 4?) I thought over the various characters that could be used for roles. Links and Sages were enough for the townies, but what about the villains? Obviously Ganon, multiple reincarnations of Ganon, and a few bosses, but what else? I once again thought over the townie roles, and something odd showed up. If there's this many Links, what's the chance of a Dark Link? No, there was no chance, I was certain of it. Coincidentally Smash was about to bring up the same subject. However, I was the one who brought up how Dark Link could very well exist, which was accepted. Smash then mentioned the other two goddesses possibly being evil and was overly defensive/"Remain Calm" about the whole Dark Link thing. It was quite obvious; the problem now was if I should mention it. If one spy existed, how many more existed? As I mentioned above, you can't really trust anyone in Mafia. I apologize.

"But you revealed your role card to the LANK BUNKER! That's contradicting!"
Revive passive. Wasn't worried. Was going to kill someone if they tried anything. I figured I'd get some information on the off-chance that I was placed into a chat without fact checking and use that info to my advantage. I'd also like to bring up that since my role didn't charge the master sword and appeared un-interesting, most people forgot what I could do, including Smash and apparently Shade Guy. As a result of the Un-needed confusion, I was often the target for misc abilities instead of the people who actually needed them, along with being the one suspected as "The Spy" due to my inability to charge the sword. As a target of such, if by any event I had any trust before, it was now gone and no one was going to believe me.

Whatever, the game is over now. Once Llama/Thunder died and I was told that KD's Mafia team abilities were broken, a spy didn't really matter as much.

As for my "forgotten" role card:

(click to show/hide)

August 30, 2014, 07:07:53 AM
Reply #276

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
Re: Operation Train Mystery
« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2014, 07:07:53 AM »
Quote from: "Rozark Kyouko"
Also you knew everyone's role before the flip minus mine and a few others? That's odd, considering I was in the demolished LANK BUNKER, don't you think?
I had scanned you with the Triforce of Wisdom and knew you were added to the hero chat, but for whatever reason Smash never reported your role card to me, so I never knew your exact abilities. I mentioned it to him a couple of times but he never responded, likely just out of forgetfulness.

August 30, 2014, 08:39:44 AM
Reply #277

Offline Accel

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 23, 2010, 02:13:20 AM

• View Profile
Re: No one will ever trust Smashbro again
« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »
Quote from: "Shade Guy"
On Day 2, Smashbro made a seemingly-random post complimenting Accel with the subject "Re: [MAFIA] Farore's Wind - DAY 2". This was bait.
Oh. So I'm not awesome... Lame.

August 30, 2014, 04:34:41 PM
Reply #278

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
Darn, down to six for eight.
« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
Alright I think this has gone on long enough. Some people have expected me to reply individually or even continue the game in some hasty attempt to preserve supposedly damaged dignity, but the truth is that I'm not going to spend much of my time defending my game and addressing everyone individually. This entire sequence of events has come to be not because people were angry at unbalance (which would have been impossible to perceive) but rather because some people were angry that they were not playing more traditional mafia. I can understand this notion. I'm fine if you don't like my game. But I must also express my disappointment in the manner people expressed it. Many of the complaints and comments and actions I have seen (not all of them, and not only here but also on Skype) have ranged wildly, from whiny to viciously toxic. I'm not shocked by these but I can honestly say they saddened me, not because it ruined the game, but because I expect out of others what I would expect out of myself, and what would be expected out of me.

I would like to largely thank Zhade for being a great evil leader and a good player, but I would also like to thank in general those who played the game for what it was (which, despite all of this, was a lot of you!). For the rest of you, I sincerely hope that the next mafia suits your tastes better than this game did, and I hope the minutes of your time it ate up have not cost you much.

Also thanks Copay for letting me host first.

obv this can be locked now gg