Advanced Search

Author Topic: Cutstuff Adventure 2- Emergency Signups  (Read 22567 times)

August 01, 2014, 04:33:52 PM
Read 22567 times

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
Cutstuff Adventure 2- Emergency Signups
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »
Hello everyone, it's Dr. Freeman and welcome to Cutstuff Adventure 2!

The first game did end like 12 hours ago, but this game will be going on hiatus after signups conclude. It's just marginally easier to make everything work if the break happens after signups. So once that's all done we'll be taking a break.

Before we go into signups, let's talk about the game itself. We'll have more details about the story once the game actually gets kicking, so that's on hold right now. As for the gameplay, it follows the same basic principles of the first game, however there will be some differences. Party size is being reduced from 5 to 4, parties will actually split up giving more focus to a certain group, and giving the rest of the players a break from the game, and a whole lot of math will be thrown into how attacks work, so Fira won't always do 220 damage forever.

But the same basic gameplay of, "Do stuff and just say commands in battle" applies. We're just hoping to keep it a bit more balanced and enjoyable so we don't get into a rut of using the same move over and over because everything else is obsolete.

Now, it's been a common occurrence that every forum game I host fills up really fast. As such, a lot of people get left behind wanting tot play but can't. While I can't fully rectify this problem, signups will act differently as a result.

This whole thing is very important to read, and if you don't you'll probably get punched in the face.

So first of all, we are upping the character limit to 12 players instead of 10. So that's fun.

So for CSA1, I was riding the coattails of Final Fantasy as I needed something simple that can work. Now I know that it works, we will be making classes a lot more interesting. I'm not going to give you a list of classes to choose from this time. Instead, you will be making your own classes, and that's how signups will work.

First of all, a template.

Name:
Class Name:
Appearance (Optional):
Personality (Optional):
Desired theme of skills:

As you can see, the class is the most important part, but if you want to make a character to go with it, be my guest. Keep in mind that it's 100% optional and whether or not you make a character won't decide if you can get in the game.

What will determine if you get in or not is the quality of the class. There are a few guidelines you should follow.

1. Be creative!

You can be silly with your class, just not too much. I'll let you get away with just about anything. You can be simple and just be a warrior or something, or you can be crazy and play as, I dunno a zookeeper or something. Not the best example, but don't feel hindered. I'll go along with just about anything, as long as it isn't something that's impossible to make a moveset around. Like a rock.
However, it's best to try to come up with something interesting rather than something boring. While it's possible to be a generic warrior, that's really boring. You can keep it in general RPG town, but the warrior should have something that makes him stand out from the rest. Or just go nuts and play as a Wal-Mart employee or something really dumb.

2. ...Don't get too crazy.
Of course when you're being judged by your class quality, you'd want to add something to it that makes it stick out. That's fine and all, but please remember that THIS IS A TEXT ADVENTURE. I am pretty limited with what I can do. For example, if you want a class where every stat changes with a move and the moveset is different, Imma punch you in the face. If you want a class that introduces 40 new stats, I will punch you in the face. However, you can add little things that mixes it up, but if you are planning to add something that will break away from the norm, please talk to be beforehand so I can tell you how balanced it is or if it works.
In the end, it's probably safer to just do a normal class that plays normally, but if you REALLY want something new, talk to me about it and don't go overboard.

3. No specific abilities!
I cannot stress this enough. If your template says "My warrior has a move where he gets a fire sword attack" YOU WILL BE DENIED! You can keep it simple like "My warrior has elemental sword powers" or something, and that's vague enough that it works. But when we need to come up with a balanced moveset for 12 characters, you shoving certain moves down our throat is bad. Don't do it.

4. No existing characters.
If you sign up as Mega Man, you will get a personal visit to punch in the face city.
However, you can hypothetically sign up as someone in the Character Catalog thread if the character is yours. It is an OC then. Just no characters from other media.

5. Have fun!
I dunno, just have fun with this. But if you don't get chosen, please don't feel down. While everything above applies, still trying to make a balanced party so there's not 4 of the same type of character is important.

This last note has nothing to do with class making itself, but is important if you want to sign up. Cutstuff Adventure was really long.
Cutstuff Adventure 2 will be longer.

As such, if you sign up YOU NEED TO HAVE A SOMEWHAT DECENT SCHEDULE!
When I say that, I would prefer you can check the topic at least once a day. For example, Isaac in CSA1 has a job and could only get on a little bit. But that was fine because he still checked the topic once a day.
But, if you KNOW that you are always unavailable on "Tuesdays and Thursdays" or something, DON'T SIGN UP! We don't need to be waiting forever on one guy. However, if you have a vacation or something, that's fine, as long as you don't go on vacation every other week. Just let me know beforehand and I'll do something about it. If you can check the topic once everyday to possibly post on a regular basis, then you're fine.

Last things about signups, there are FIVE reserved spots already! Which have been reserved by gaining interest in joining about halfway through CSA1. That's cool. These five are pretty much already in, but unless your name is LlamaHombre (in which I've already talked to and have everything I need) I need you to confirm that you're playing, and still post a class.
However, if your class breaks any of the big rules above, I have the right to kick you out.

Signups themselves are not "if you post you're in". Rather, outside of the reserved 5, I will not update the signups at all. Instead, I will keep it open for like 2 days and once that's done, evaluate the classes to create a balanced, yet fun team.

I know this sounds like a lot, but it's just guidelines so things don't go to shit. The most important thing is to have fun!
And let us commence signups!

1. Labada: Detective
2. Jman: Magical Scientist
3. Caprice: Support
4. OrangeMario: Fruit Vendor
5. C-Foam: Demolitionist
6. Malia Marcelette: Illusionist
7. David Muza: Gardener
8. SmashBro & Plus: Assist Knight
9. Cookie: Baker
10. Tango: Swag Master
11. Wingman Walter Winderly: Air Knight
12. Gunther Toidenheimer: Archer

August 01, 2014, 04:36:42 PM
Reply #1

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
Re: Cutstuff Adventure 2- Signups and Only Signups
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
Because being in the last one just wasn't enough.

Name: Gunther Toidenheimer
Class Name: Archer
Appearance (Optional): hand :I
Personality (Optional): Somewhat reserved, generally serious, a bit sarcastic
Desired theme of skills: Archery and Friends™

August 01, 2014, 04:38:23 PM
Reply #2

Offline coolcat7022

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 27, 2013, 01:01:34 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
Name: Cool "Brewic" Cat
Class Name: Alchemist
Desired Theme of Skills: He can brew various potions that can do damage, heal, or even buff and debuff, his brewing skills know almost no bounds, with the exception that instead of using MP, he can only hold so many potions on his person, so he DOES have a limit to his potions.

August 01, 2014, 04:55:07 PM
Reply #3

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga
  • Date Registered: September 13, 2011, 06:26:12 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
Name: Cain "Stryfe" Stryfier
Class Name: Spell Fencer
Appearance: Young warrior kind of guy, wears gloves, has wolf ears and a wolf tail because He's cool like that. He also likes wearing his lucky blue scarf. (I might draw something, i dunno this is optional anyway)
Personality: A cocky, naive, jokester kind of guy, spouts a lot of insults but usually he only means about 15% of them
Desired theme of skills: Much like the spell fencers in Bravely Default, Stryfe can take a turn to enchant his sword with a type of black magic, then for a brief period of time his physical attacks have the effects of the spell, whether it just be dealing fire damage, to inflicting poison or silence.

(Brief edit to keep this character from being tied to me, and more of his own entity)

August 01, 2014, 04:55:48 PM
Reply #4

Offline Galactan

• Enthusiast

• Excellence in Explosives
  • Date Registered: August 30, 2012, 04:24:46 AM

• View Profile
    • https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nvpvjnhtEK1uzrbyf.mp4#_=_
Do the cha-cha
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
Name: David Muza
Class Name: Gardener
Appearance (Optional): He wears an apron with flowers on it, a sunhat, jeans, and rain boots.  He's usually covered in dirt.
Personality (Optional): Very prim and proper, reserved.
Desired theme of skills: He plants various flora that grow throughout battle, which affect his allies and enemies.  He can water a plant to make it grow faster.

August 01, 2014, 04:58:56 PM
Reply #5

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:58:56 PM »
Name: Wingman Walter Winderly
Class Name: Air Knight
Appearance: He has an orange pilot helmet with goggles and big headphones around his ears, with a white scarf around his neck. On the front of the helmet are two white emblems that look like targets. He wears a dark-blue pilot jumpsuit with orange reflective pads on his elbows and knees. Also has big black boots, big eyebrows and a pencil-thin, well-kept mustache.
Personality: Always has a thirst for adventure, generally optimistic
Desired theme of skills: Wind-based powers

August 01, 2014, 05:10:50 PM
Reply #6

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
Name: Roswitha "Roza" Arboriana

Class Name: Magical Spearmaiden

Appearance (Optional): What would you think a spearmaiden wearing magical girl clothes would look like? Also, green eyes and long green hair.

Personality (Optional): Not as silly as her appearance! Although she often makes bad puns and likes sparkly things. She can easily get into a super-serious mood when things start going wrong.

Desired theme of skills: Spear combat and sparkly magical girl magic!
Spear abilities would be normal spear things like ranged and melee combat.
Magical girl abilities would be cute and overly sparkly special enhanced spear skills and auxiliary magical abilites.
Those would be miscellaneous spells that aren't really normal healing or attack spells, but ones that affect combat more indirectly.

Something to add: She is a magical spearmaiden, not a magical girl with a huge stick.

August 01, 2014, 05:17:20 PM
Reply #7

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
Name: Event Horizon
Class Name: Reality Warper
Appearance (Optional): a floating skull and spinal cord with a disconnected lower jaw hidden completely by long rags and trashy cloaks
Personality (Optional): literally none
Desired theme of skills: Terrain shifting and space-changing (eg. warping objects, shortening or widening spaces, creating rifts by moving things apart, broke the NO SPECIFICS rule because reality warper isn't exactly descriptive)

August 01, 2014, 05:35:36 PM
Reply #8

Offline Jman

• Standard Member

• ( ͡° ͜&#
  • Date Registered: June 28, 2011, 02:09:25 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 05:35:36 PM »
Name: Jman
Class Name: Magical Scientist
Appearance: Tattered cloak and a broad brimmed hat that covers most of his face
Personality: Very quiet. Cold and calculating, and spends more time scheming battle plans rather than talking.
Desired theme of skills: Uses a weird mix of magic, chemistry, and mechanical engineering to help friends and hurt enemies.

August 01, 2014, 05:40:59 PM
Reply #9

Offline Spikeboy

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2011, 12:24:54 AM

• View Profile
    • ^:D
Re: Cutstuff Adventure 2 - Signups and Only Signups
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
Name: Dictator Birdstar
Class Name: Pop Star
Appearance (Optional): http://i.imgur.com/YmeyFZB.png
Desired theme of skills: Healing with sound based attacks

August 01, 2014, 05:44:28 PM
Reply #10

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »
Name: Beed28
Class Name: Technician Marksman
Personality: Sarcasm, never uses bad language
Desired theme of skills: Uses a range of energy canons and lasers, maybe the odd rocket launcher.

EDIT: I'm not too late, aren't I?

August 01, 2014, 05:51:50 PM
Reply #11

Offline Caprice

• Enthusiast

• open hole
  • Date Registered: May 28, 2011, 10:52:19 PM

• View Profile
    • i left my soda in the freezer oh no!!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
Name: Caprice
Class Name: Support
Appearance (Optional): A robotic character, coated in white and orange steel with a rather shoddily attached blocky computer monitor as a head; can express emotions through images shown through the monitor. Typically dressed in a plain white coat, with a strange slimy substance in its left pocket. Wears a traffic cone for reasons.
Personality (Optional): Very polite and tries to offer good advice and assistance whenever possible, but can occasionally "break" and become more rude at a moment's notice.
Desired theme of skills: Stat buffs that help my friends, and possibly stat nerfs that make my enemies hate me.
EDIT:
Caprice: i thought it would be neat if caprice used buffs in the form of electronical add-ons or something
Caprice: like a little "power generator" that caprice could attach to people's fists or guns or eyelids to make them punch/shoot/blink with more ferocity
Caprice: and leech-like things that caprice can throw at enemies that do things how you would expect

Freeman told me to say this a long time ago and I forgot a long time ago and he reminded me again.

August 01, 2014, 05:53:32 PM
Reply #12

Offline Blews

• Standard Member

• pegg is this you
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2013, 08:05:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »
punch me

Name : Megaman
Class Name : Megaman
Appearance (Optional) : Megaman
Personallity (Optional) : Megaman
Desired theme of skills : Megaman

August 01, 2014, 06:03:30 PM
Reply #13

Knux

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
Alright, let's give this a try.

Name: Alexander "Knux" Riptide
Class Name: Knux (Not sure why there are two names?)
Appearance (Optional): Dark blue t-shirt, dark blue (with a big white tripe in the sides), reversible "basketball" pants, white tennis shoes made for running. Hope that's not too much detail!
Personality (Optional): Keeps to himself most of the time unless he has something important to say, but becomes as communicative as needed in the heat of battle to ease coordination. Has a fascination for certain types of plants, the ocean and good sleep. When he doesn't get enough sleep, he tends to be unreasonable and even acts erratically sometimes, though some have rumored that he comes up with really good ideas in his half-asleep state...
Desired theme of skills: Long range (Bubble Arrows, Bubble Bouncer [Water element, I guess!]), Team Support (Pearl Plants, explained below), straight forward damaging melee attacks as a last resort if running out of everything. These melee attacks can be used at any time and do minimal damage, but if you have nothing left, their attack power doubles.

The Heck are Pearl Plants!?

Pearl Plants are a special type of plant that were bio engineered using technology and magic. The fruit of these plants, which look like pearls (thus earning their name), can be used for various purposes depending on their color. The color of the fruit determines what it will do, and said color is determined by what the Pearl Plant is "watered" with. The plants grow and bear fruit after a certain amount of *insert time/steps/factor here*, depending on what is being grown. Below are just a few examples of which liquids provide respective results:

- Water: Sneak Pearl, transparent, grants invisibility (evasion increase).
- Soda: Pep Pearl, black colored, grants a speed boost.
- Fruit Juice: Power Pearl, red colored, grants an increase in attack power.
- Potion (normal ones): Healing Pearl, pink colored, grants regenerating HP.

When used on a single person, the effect of a Pearl lasts 4 turns for status boosts, and six turns for HP related ones. It can also be split and used on two people, but their effect will last for two turns on each user. Also, one cannot stack effects caused by Pearls. For example, if you're using one Pearl effect and then use another Pearl effect, the one you used will replace the old one.

August 01, 2014, 06:15:29 PM
Reply #14

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »
[2:11:33 PM] Thunderono: throw a quote real quick saying I actually have authority to do that
[2:12:14 PM] Dr. Freeman: Yo Thunder is in the dev team
[2:12:19 PM] Thunderono: thanks

so Knux
you did the thing

To be more specific, Freeman has specified NOT to specify on attacks.  YD never broke the rule in that submission, but you went a little too far into detail.  We're asking not to specify so that we can balance attacks around each other and try to create a varied experience rather than TWO RED MAGES

Things are looking pretty good so far, though!  I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with!