Advanced Search

Author Topic: Hardest game you ever beat?  (Read 31770 times)

November 23, 2010, 11:29:55 AM
Reply #60

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
Re: Hardest game you ever beat?
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »
Quote from: "Combotron"
During the time I played Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, I decided to try those level caps that the game provides once you beat it the first time through. I managed to defeat the standard mode (Jonathan & Charlotte) on Hard mode with a level 1 cap. Ancient Armor made things easier to deal with (allowed 10 hits before death), but when facing final Dracula, it was impossible to hit back his wing wall of super death, so I would have to avoid it with that Meteor team attack.

I also tried Richter Belmont mode on Hard mode level 1 cap. Got up to Dracula, lost many times, never tried again. 6 damage per whip attack + Dracula's 6666 health + Death hovering around being all "Sup Broham?" with his 4000+ health = fuck this shit.

There is only one way to play portrait of ruin with the level 1 cap. I even wrote a guide to help you out!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/930294-castl ... faqs/46993

November 23, 2010, 04:48:51 PM
Reply #61

Offline Combotron

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 02, 2010, 03:32:27 AM

• View Profile
    • http://shaos-x.deviantart.com/
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2010, 04:48:51 PM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
There is only one way to play portrait of ruin with the level 1 cap. I even wrote a guide to help you out!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/930294-castl ... faqs/46993
Hahaha oh wow! Old Axe Armor was the only one I didn't try on level cap. Well, him and the Sisters playthrough, but they're playthrough is the shortest and they're pretty much godmodding anyway. I gotta try this someday.

November 25, 2010, 08:53:16 PM
Reply #62

Offline Alucard

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 01:20:17 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/MetalMephiles9000
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

The enemies and bosses aren't the hard part. It's the what to do, what to buy, how to do things, etc.

How are we supposed to know that we needed to use the Red Crystal to get to the tornado that takes you to the next part of the game? Or that we needed to throw an Oak Stake at the Orb?

OR WHAT CRYSTAL TO USE TO GET THE WATER TO DROP SO YOU CAN USE THE PLATFORMS!?

OR USE THE GARLIC TO SUMMON THE SPIRIT THAT GIVES YOU THE SILK BAG TO COLLECT DRAC'S PARTS IN!?

YOU NOW PRO-*BOX APPEARS*
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE
SSESS AN HARD GAME!

November 26, 2010, 01:10:11 PM
Reply #63

Anonymous

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
Only a couple games I can really think of currently.

First, Mega Man Zero 2 on Hard Mode.  Trying to S-Rank as many stages as possible wasn't the hard, oh no.  It was the fact Zero died in like 2-4 freaking hits from basically everything since he's automatically equipped with the Proto Form and can't switch out of it (Proto Form basically makes it so your equipment acts like if it was at level 1, boosts your damage a pinch, and FREAKING DOUBLES all damage you sustain).

Amazing how the only stage I failed to score a S-Rank on was the final stage...and even then, I missed out by only a couple points.

The other one...Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Hard Mode, lv1 cap, from scratch. Oh hai everything killing me in 2-3 hits...if I'm extremely lucky. That first forest area is a nightmare....even more so if you're playing as Algus.

November 27, 2010, 01:05:38 AM
Reply #64

Offline MagicKoopa-Marc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 12, 2010, 01:34:52 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2010, 01:05:38 AM »
one horrible word

PLOK

oh man this game kicked my ass big time and i felt like a complete GOD when i beat it.

the only thing that kept me going was the awesome boss music

Plok - SNES: Boss Music

amazing but still the whole games soundtrack was awesome and i really just beat it a year ago having it for almost all my life(my brother picked it up)

and now i warn you noble people of cutstuff DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME UNLESS YOU WANT TO CONVERT TO BEING AN EMO.Dont even torture people by playing this because itll torture you too in an endless cycle of hate and i wish for a year of gameplay back! mmmhhhmmm yep now your curious huh welp... NO DONT DO IT MAN DONT GET THAT ROM! all in all it is solid and smooth in gameplay dont get me wrong but its just arrrrrrrg dont okay just dont

November 30, 2010, 10:28:13 PM
Reply #65

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
Lets see..I haven't played too many super-hard games, so..

Megaman 10 on hard mode.

Tales of Symphonia on Mania mode. Although the final boss was easy, the rest of the game was cruel.

Kingdom Hearts 2, mainly because I decided to never use Reflect.

Megaman 7 was also pretty hard. Especially the final boss.

But..none of them could possibly hope to be hard as Lemmings. Good Lord, that game is sadistic.

December 01, 2010, 08:53:06 AM
Reply #66

Offline copycat

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 14, 2010, 11:56:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
Honestly, Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch is one of the hardest games I have finished in recent memory, but I don't often play first-person shooters.  If I had not been sick, I don't think I would have attempted to put in the time to fight 46 Robot Masters and then the final boss.  But here's what I can remember from olden days.

Contra (NES)
?Contra, 30 guys!?
?Contra, 30 guys!?
?Contra, 30 guys!?
?The following code makes the body count rise?

Side-note: One Second Ghost, also by the Gothsicles, captures all non-one-hit-death games from that era in a way which I find to be delicious.  Not only for the lyrics, but the sampling of the audio cues from subject matter, starting with a Mega Man crash.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (Nintendo 64)
Cyerbenetic dinosaurs appear out of fog.  Once, I noticed one just in time to watch it backhand me off of a cliff.  I think the final boss was riding a Tyranosaurus Rex before you had to fight his teleporting-self.  But mostly I remember those controls as the worst I've ever tried for that genre.

Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage (SNES)
That has got to be the most difficult side-scrolling beat-em-up I have ever played and finished.  It's probably the most difficult game I have finished, period.  ...until the day I finally get through Castlevania III.

December 01, 2010, 06:40:56 PM
Reply #67

Offline TheBladeRoden

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 14, 2010, 07:26:58 PM

• View Profile
    • TheBladeRoden's Home Page
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »
Quote from: "copycat"
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (Nintendo 64)
Cyerbenetic dinosaurs appear out of fog.  Once, I noticed one just in time to watch it backhand me off of a cliff.  I think the final boss was riding a Tyranosaurus Rex before you had to fight his teleporting-self.  But mostly I remember those controls as the worst I've ever tried for that genre.

That's funny cause I ended up using the Turok control scheme on every console FPS since that game

December 01, 2010, 07:05:20 PM
Reply #68

Offline copycat

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 14, 2010, 11:56:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »
Quote from: "TheBladeRoden"
That's funny cause I ended up using the Turok control scheme on every console FPS since that game
More power to you. C-buttons for movement, especially when combined with platforming, was not my bag.

December 08, 2010, 04:16:06 AM
Reply #69

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2010, 04:16:06 AM »
Let me think...There aren't that many hard games that I've actually beaten, but I'm gonna go with...

Tales of Symphonia on Mania Mode, as Kapus previously stated. Ugh..Kratos...That man is lethal.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 Mod - The Mystic Realm. The game didn't get hard until Prismatic Angel Zone. Oh, man. If you're playing as Tails, its kinda easy. Knuckles, difficult. Sonic...Good luck. (oh, by the way. you can only cheat to NOT be Sonic there unless it's multiplayer) And once you get to the Mystic Realm ITSELF...That boss is hard. Real hard. Also, on your first playthrough of the mod, it really actually starts getting hard once you hit Midnight Freeze zone, which is like 3 zones prior to Prismatic Angel...Assuming that you GOT those Chaos Emeralds.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 2.0. The game is way harder than it's demo's. they came up with a whole new assortment of badniks, remodeled Castle Eggman, and re hide the emblems. But other than that, I just have three words for this game's source of Difficulty: Egg. Freaking. Rock.

Megaman 2. I recently started playing the game again for old times sake. How the HECK did I get past the Wily Machine before!? I must have been pretty dang good back then. 'cause that thing's way harder than I remembered. I'm stuck there now, but I beat the game before so it counts up here.

And this only goes up here because of what I did, not because of anything it did to me.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I dare you, Just TRY to go down the cave of ordeals, (or as I always call it, the pit of 100 trials) with out ANY healing items. I never completed it without digging up a couple of hearts hidden in the ground, yet. But I plan to do that soon.

That's all I can think of, so far.

December 08, 2010, 08:46:43 PM
Reply #70

Offline Alucard

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »
Quote from: "SmashTheEchidna"
Megaman 2. I recently started playing the game again for old times sake. How the HECK did I get past the Wily Machine before!? I must have been pretty dang good back then. 'cause that thing's way harder than I remembered. I'm stuck there now, but I beat the game before so it counts up here.

I say that Megaman 2 was probably the easiest game in the franchise, as I could get to the alien. Still can't beat that damn alien though :|

Heatman's tiles are easy with practice

Quickbeams almost REQUIRE Time-Stopper

December 08, 2010, 11:22:36 PM
Reply #71

Offline Donugee

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 06, 2010, 09:33:30 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
Quote from: "Alucard"
All it is is some memorization. I never use Flash Stopper anymore.

Tough question, though. I would vote either Mega Man 9, or Zelda II: The Adventure of Link Both QUITE painful.
Zelda II, though, lets you keep your spells and levels on future plays on that file.

Also, just about any text adventure. Some of the puzzles are quite ambiguous...There was a puzzle in Planetfall in specific that wasn't even in the official guide! I had to turn to GameFAQS

December 08, 2010, 11:52:52 PM
Reply #72

Offline TheBladeRoden

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 14, 2010, 07:26:58 PM

• View Profile
    • TheBladeRoden's Home Page
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:52 PM »
I wonder if anyone ever beat Riven without looking at hints?

December 09, 2010, 08:26:11 PM
Reply #73

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »

I made it through without Time Stopper on my first and only try.  I didn't think it was difficult.

December 11, 2010, 12:28:47 AM
Reply #74

Offline Alucard

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2010, 12:28:47 AM »
Quote from: "Mr. X"

I made it through without Time Stopper on my first and only try.  I didn't think it was difficult.

Some people have more skill than others at certain games.

Y'know, people BAWWWWing over the elephants in Concreteman's stage are exaggerating. They were easy, even the 3rd one.