Advanced Search

Author Topic: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - RocPack v1b (Finally)  (Read 27954 times)

August 30, 2011, 01:33:08 AM
Reply #45

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
Re: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - The RocPack
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 01:33:08 AM »
Quote from: "Myroc"
On the contrary, it shows that the person in question has atleast some semblance of reason, which seems to be a rare quality these days. (In general, not just the forum, mind.)

I can't tell if this good or bad, but I'll say thank you anyway.

And, Smash, I've double posted four times in the last few days. :P

September 28, 2011, 05:36:56 PM
Reply #46

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
Re: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - King of the Hill
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
So, as mentioned in the relevant topic, I decided to make a small mockup map for the domination mode, which has been tweaked function more like TF2-style King of the Hill. The map is very basic, in total it took me less than an hour to make, and I had to do some additional tweaking in the code provided, but it should work relatively well. However, there is still a bug that can cause the point to be unable to be captured by the opposing team from time to time. I still do not know the cause of this. I'll do some more digging in the code, but if anyone could point out what's wrong, do tell.

Grab the map here.

To set it up, you need to host the map in Team Game mode, and then set the server point limit to how many seconds the point needs to be held in total for a team to win. (E.g 90 means one and a half minute for each team). It does not have to be done in one sitting. Capturing the point is as simple as walking onto the platform in the middle. Your team should then accumulate a point per second until you either win or the enemy team captures the point from you. Beware though, health and energy are a lot more scarce here than normal maps.

Again, this is just a quick and basic mockup to how the mode could work in MM8BDM. I do not promise that this map is actually good to play on, so for it's just a map to play on.

September 29, 2011, 08:52:57 AM
Reply #47

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »
After experimenting, it seems that the control point only registers a capture from 8 different spots, the 4 corners and the 4 edges. However, it looks like you accidentally made it so it only registers a capture from each spot once. Therefore, after 8 captures it becomes impossible to capture it anymore.

For example, you capture the point, running in from the top-right corner. After you capture it from there, the opposing team cannot run in from the top-right and capture it. Thus continuing until it is captured from every corner and edge.

In short, if you run onto the control point from a certain angle, no one can capture by running onto the control point from that angle again.

September 29, 2011, 07:32:24 PM
Reply #48

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 07:32:24 PM »
Quote from: "Shade Guy"
After experimenting, it seems that the control point only registers a capture from 8 different spots, the 4 corners and the 4 edges. However, it looks like you accidentally made it so it only registers a capture from each spot once. Therefore, after 8 captures it becomes impossible to capture it anymore.

For example, you capture the point, running in from the top-right corner. After you capture it from there, the opposing team cannot run in from the top-right and capture it. Thus continuing until it is captured from every corner and edge.

In short, if you run onto the control point from a certain angle, no one can capture by running onto the control point from that angle again.

Solution: Check off "Repeatable Action" in the relevant linedefs.

September 29, 2011, 07:37:18 PM
Reply #49

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »
Quote from: "xColdxFusionx"
Quote from: "Shade Guy"

Solution: Check off "Repeatable Action" in the relevant linedefs.
So that's what I missed. I feel like a tool now. Thank you, that was basically the last thing in the code that was still bugging me.

If only I hadn't lost all the other changes I made to the code when my desktop crashed earlier today and refuses to boot. I'm gonna see if I can reimplement the stuff I had changed prior to that and reupload it.

September 30, 2011, 03:39:41 PM
Reply #50

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
MMKOTH01 has been updated and improved. It should now be hopefully bugfree as well as a bit more streamlined. Download it in the first post.

Additionally, anyone is free to use the code provided to make their own King of the Hill maps. With a very minor amount of tweaking, it's also possible to do multi-point maps, for anyone who chooses to.

December 10, 2011, 11:40:29 AM
Reply #51

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »
I've released the latest version of my King of the Hill map and code. This now contains two versions of the map, demonstrating single-point King of the Hill and multi-point Domination respectively. The download is on the first page. I'm also cross referencing the method used to add more control points mentioned in the Doom Builder help-thread.

Also, the next version of the RocPack is finally coming soon. I just need to do some more tweaks and testing. This next version (hopefully) addresses most of the issues in the first batch of maps, and also contains two new ones.

December 10, 2011, 05:42:04 PM
Reply #52

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
Re: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - More KotH
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2011, 05:42:04 PM »
Cool. Can't wait to see it finished.

Keep up the good work!

December 10, 2011, 09:29:17 PM
Reply #53

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - More KotH
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »
Cool. And thanks for doing the domination maps. That really helped me out alot.

January 08, 2012, 07:43:34 PM
Reply #54

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
Re: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - RocPack v1b (Finally)
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »
Do you hear that sound? That's the sound of me getting off my lazy ass and fixing stuff.

RocPack v1b has been released.

What's new in this version? Not only have the original five maps undergone some heavy tweaking, this version also adds two more maps to the mix, Hilltop Mausoleum and Border Gate Gulch. The changelog for the first five maps are as follows:
(click to show/hide)

This should hopefully adress most of the issues that were present in v1a, although I expect there to be a metric fuckton of new issues arising with this version. I really wish I wasn't so lazy about these things, I really could have had this released one or two months ago. But ah well.

January 09, 2012, 12:08:15 AM
Reply #55

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
why would you think Proto Buster / Rush Jet combo was fun
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 12:08:15 AM »
hello my name is SmashBro and I am going to complain now

Quote from: "On August 29 2011, SmashBroPlusB"
The weapon selection is rather nice and covers a wide spectrum of strategies and playstyles: from the multi-hit Crash Bomb to the sneaky Search Snake and Magnet Missiles to the all-mighty Power Stone, the zerg rusher's best friend. My only real complaint is Proto Buster. It can single-handedly nullify every single weapon on the stage (sans Gravity Hold), and deal a 50-damage counter attack to boot! Augh, I just really hate Proto Buster. It only takes one shield guy going buster only and camping the crap out of the Proto Buster spawn area to really ruin everyone's day.
Mind you, Proto Buster is harder to get now, but still it's a little disheartening to see that ONE thing single-handedly cock-block about 90% of the weapon selection that's here.

And then there was Rush Jet. :geek:

I don't have a real critique right now as I just now DL'd the pack, but I just HAD to check on the changes to Smash Plant.

January 09, 2012, 08:36:39 AM
Reply #56

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
Re: why would you think Proto Buster / Rush Jet combo was fu
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
Mind you, Proto Buster is harder to get now, but still it's a little disheartening to see that ONE thing single-handedly cock-block about 90% of the weapon selection that's here.
What, Gravity Hold, Crash Bombs, Magnet Missiles and Drill Bombs aren't good enough for you? There are plenty weapons to counter it, most of them at least somewhat more accessible than Proto Buster is (and that's even taking into account the mass amount of Beat Calls and Rush Jet). Yes, Proto Buster can still be rather powerful, which it's supposed to be. I've added enough weapons that can bypass its protective abilities, saturating the map with yet more of them would make it a lot less useful fast.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the the input, and if this ever becomes an in-game issue, then I'll make sure to do some tweaking, but there is a lot of thought put behind it, and considering that all you did was open it up and having quick gander, I'm not too inclined to think of it as something severe nor important.

January 09, 2012, 03:25:14 PM
Reply #57

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
because real men obviously abuse splash damage
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
What, Gravity Hold, Crash Bombs, Magnet Missiles and Drill Bombs aren't good enough for you?
Drill Bombs are slow and Proto Buster is fast
with Rush Jet, Gravity Hold makes me feel Gravity Trolled
Magnets and Crash Bombs are fine

and I should probably look at ALL of the maps before I piss you off any further :ugeek:

January 09, 2012, 03:44:18 PM
Reply #58

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
Re: because real men obviously abuse splash damage
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
What, Gravity Hold, Crash Bombs, Magnet Missiles and Drill Bombs aren't good enough for you?
Drill Bombs are slow and Proto Buster is fast
with Rush Jet, Gravity Hold makes me feel Gravity Trolled
Magnets and Crash Bombs are fine

and I should probably look at ALL of the maps before I piss you off any further :ugeek:
Sorry if I come across as "pissed off", I appreciate feedback such as the one you are providing. I just don't find any validity in this particular claim, and I do not think it's of any issue unless I am given proof via real gameplay that it is an actual issue, in which case I will deal with it as required. I have, however, tried my best to prevent this from ever becoming an actual detriment to gameplay.

January 10, 2012, 02:30:04 AM
Reply #59

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
Re: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - RocPack v1b (Finally)
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2012, 02:30:04 AM »
Well, I suppose I'll scan this pack as well for linedef problems. I will report problems with either the lack of or excessiveness of linedefs with the "block monster" property. I will supply photos too.

ROC05- Excessive on the stairs. Lack of somewhere. I've looked all over, but there is a spot that I can't seem to find.
(click to show/hide)
ROC06- No excessive. Lack of pretty much the entire outside.
(click to show/hide)

Well, that was a short and sweet review! Not much problems detected due to the amount of maps are in this pack to begin with.