Advanced Search

Author Topic: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - RocPack v1b (Finally)  (Read 27914 times)

May 06, 2011, 02:23:04 PM
Read 27914 times

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - RocPack v1b (Finally)
« on: May 06, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
Greetings Mortal, this here is where I upload all the maps that I make. (Or at least some of them.) Stay tuned, as additional maps (and mayhaps the earlier mentioned miscellany) may appear at any time I choose.

This topic is home to the RocPack, a pack where I put all the maps I make. These maps are (with one exception) all designed for deathmatch, and deathmatch only. Do not pester me about faults in these maps for modes other than DM, unless they are really trivial changes that does not change basic DM play. In addition, you are not allowed to redistribute this pack in any shape or form, without my personal approval.

You can download the RocPack here:

RocPack - v1b
RocPack - v1a

These are the maps that are currently in the RocPack:

ROC01 - Azure Courtyard

This is the map I created for the Duel Map competition, and as such is the only map in the pack which isn't explicitly designed for Deathmatch. Based on the infamous Wily Logo, and previously named as the lame "Wily Arena", I have completely overhauled it's textures, using the Wily Stage 1 textures from Mega Man 7, but has barely changed at all layout-wise. Featuring semi-low tier weapons, they still all have varied uses in this tiny map. Perfect for small 2-4 person skirmishes, but can also provide a fun and completely chaotic game at large player numbers.

(click to show/hide)

ROC02 - Bubble Man No Constancy

This map is based off Bubble Man's map for the famous MM2 hack Rockman No Constancy. Being a submerged temple of sorts, it's a dual-tiered underwater/above water map, with semi-open areas above the water and cramped spaces below the surface. Use the Screw Crusher, which is a temporary replacement for the Spin Wheel, to not only barrage unsuspecting swimmers below, but it's also easily used to toss up onto the higher platforms from beneath.

(click to show/hide)

ROC03 - Obsidian Castle

A dark and sinister fortress, perfect residence for any villain worth his salt. Features both a good deal of cramped spaces and corridors, but at the same time a moderate amount of room.

(click to show/hide)

ROC04 - Devil's Lab

A forgotten weapons factory, this map was supposed to have a central gimmick which had ?boxes with variable contents travel through the map on it's central conveyor belt, but it was never implemented, as the map works alright for deathmatch without it. Powerful items hide underneath the crushers, which provide large rewards, should you want to brave the inherent risks.

(click to show/hide)

ROC05 - Smash Plant

An advanced wind-powered electrical plant situated in the mountains, with large amounts of open space. Special thanks goes to SmashBroPlusB, who made the basic layout for this map, which I implemented (Bluebrawl also has his own version of the map). Magnet Missile can be a powerful ally in this map, as long as your opponents don't decide to hide behind the ample cover this map also provides!

(click to show/hide)

ROC06 - Hilltop Mausoleum

Tread softly. Evil awaits beyond these gates. The master meets with the demon of the mausoleum! Hatching plots of purest evil! Forgotten nobodies would be wise to make themselves scarce.

(This map is based on a level from a game I grew up with, with some artistic liberties taken to make it a fun map. Kudos to Kackebango for providing the awesome music.)
(click to show/hide)

ROC07 - Border Gate Gulch

A map with a basic Spaghetti Western-type theme. Item-1 can as always be used to access items on ledges that are useful or powerful.
(click to show/hide)

May 06, 2011, 03:09:08 PM
Reply #1

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
Re: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps - More KotH
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »
MMKOTH - King of the Hill/Domination

A small mockup map for the new domination mode, which has been tweaked to function more like TF2-style King of the Hill, but also works just as well for multi-point domination. The map is very basic, in total it took me less than an hour to make. There are two versions of the map, one that demonstrates the single point King of the Hill, and the other has three points right next to each other. These are purely for demonstration purposes, and I do not promise that the maps are actually decent maps to play on. Feel free to utilize the code for your own means, as long as I receive some credit for adapting it.

To set it up, you need to host the map in Team Game mode, and then set the server point limit to how many seconds the point(s) need to be held in total for a team to win. (E.g 90 means one and a half minute for each team). It does not have to be done in one sitting. In the event of several control points, ontrolling more of them means that your team accumulates the points required to win faster. Capturing points is as simple as walking onto them.

(click to show/hide)

Here's a how-to on adding extra control points in a map.
(click to show/hide)

May 06, 2011, 03:12:40 PM
Reply #2

Offline Nuy

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: March 27, 2011, 10:25:22 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/NuThetta
Re: Myroc's Obsidian Tower of Maps and Miscellany
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
An obsidian tower? That doesn't seem like very smart idea. :V

May 06, 2011, 03:13:37 PM
Reply #3

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »
yay actuall second post :D

the stage is good and I also like how you have MR.X TEXTURES IN A WILY STAGE.

its a pretty good design

May 06, 2011, 03:23:33 PM
Reply #4

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
Quote from: "Duora Super Gyro"
the stage is good and I also like how you have MR.X TEXTURES IN A WILY STAGE
Makes perfect sense, doesn't it! :V

To be quite fair, it's called Wily Arena because of the design, not because of it's look. For the textures I went a tad broader and decided on textures from all the fortress stages instead. *Except Cossack.

May 06, 2011, 09:19:06 PM
Reply #5

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »
Quote from: "*Nu*"
An obsidian tower? That doesn't seem like very smart idea. :V
Well, it's safe from Creepers!

Also, nice hint at Ivory with that name, Mr. Myroc. I have not tested this map yet(It's the Wily W, yes? Sounds interesting.) but I plan to soon enough.

May 06, 2011, 09:22:26 PM
Reply #6

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 09:22:26 PM »
Hey, I remember this map! I played possession here months ago!

It was pretty fun.

May 06, 2011, 09:50:09 PM
Reply #7

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:50:09 PM »
Quote from: "Korby"
Also, nice hint at Ivory with that name, Mr. Myroc.
Hm?

*checks*

...oh curse it all.

May 06, 2011, 10:15:30 PM
Reply #8

Offline Nuy

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »
You clearly play too much Minecraft :<
Obsidian is glass like as far as I remember.

May 06, 2011, 10:23:38 PM
Reply #9

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »
It actually isn't derivated from minecraft. I chose Obsidian Tower because nothing is as stereotypically evil as a sinister dark tower, and obsidian seems to be a popular building material for those.

If anything, it's more likely me that's playing too much Dwarf Fortress than playing too much Minecraft.

May 06, 2011, 10:31:11 PM
Reply #10

Offline Nuy

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »
It was at Korby.. I need to quote more.

May 06, 2011, 10:51:59 PM
Reply #11

Offline Vortale

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 02, 2010, 03:04:46 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
Had a good try with this one. I actually found it quite fun.
I'm fond of the weapon choices (I love me some tomahawk). None of them seem OP. And for a duel, I like the amount of weapon energy. I don't feel it's too much or too little.
You've also done a good job with the map design (considering it's the Wily logo), splitting it into an open area and a set of tunnels to run around in. Lack of pits are also a plus in my book.
I don't think I have anything major I can complain about without sounding like a whiney whore (I hate water wave bawww). Textures could be a little more interesting, but it's not as if it's bad as is.

Most enjoyable!

May 08, 2011, 09:37:27 PM
Reply #12

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
So as a celebration of sorts for the migration, I've decided to release ROC02, which is based of Bubble Man's stage from the famous MM2 romhack Rockman No Constancy. See the first post for screenshots and download links.

May 13, 2011, 05:00:46 AM
Reply #13

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 05:00:46 AM »
Wow! I've planning to squeeze out some juicy ROM-hack flavored maps, but here ye are. Nice! I like the water and other textures a lot, and most the problems are minor quirks that can be fixed easily. First: You MUST loop the music! Having a silence in between the loop is painful and amateurish. Just cut it with audacity (you're going to throw in the boss music anyway, so...)

The quick boomerang spawn areas, that lead into the black area. These are a bit troublesome: When I jump into the stairs, I *feel* like I should fall deeper. Reason? The water level cuts off at an odd place. There are a number of ways to remedy this, here's two: Add a step so that the water line is equal height to the ground. OR cut the first step (if you jump down to the second step, the fall feels "right") - what happens is when you walk on the first step, you're still above water and you don't know when you fall in. That's awkward and I'd try and get rid of that feeling. The other is the ladder - because of the low gravity, you only need to use the very tip of the ladder to get up, making 90% of the ladder useless. I'd axe it and just make that jump possible without a ladder (another step would do this). Now let's go into the black room.

The black room is cool. Here you notice: low gravity affects players, but NOT weapons. I don't mind this; just pointing it out (low gravity weapons makes a lot of them useless - look at Bubbles and Crushers). It's a little naked because of the textures, and you might throw in a gimmick here if you can? The teleporter is a nice stylistic nod to MM6YAM- but Centaur Flash feels weird there. I also feel like this room is REALLY close to the action, and that might make it troublesome in DM - I'd have to play it though (and I would play this map online as is). The rest of the weapons: are you going for "Theme weapons" - weapons that match the level them - or "utilitarian" - weapons useful based on the level design? I personally am against BOTH Freeze and Dust as they're nearly identical, whereas no Bubble Lead feels funny. The Hard / Knight platforms I felt were a tad too difficult to get to - I only could with three Item 1's, and that's tremendously difficult with lag (and impossible with people shooting at you) although I understand why you hid them. Dust for Bubbles, maybe? Anyway, I feel mostly comfortable with size, the Quick Boomerang room being the one that needs attention. Good work!

ext.: Skipped the duel map because I don't really play duel. Not sure what the migration was for. <.<

May 13, 2011, 06:16:40 AM
Reply #14

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 06:16:40 AM »
Quote from: "Ice-IX"
Add a step so that the water line is equal height to the ground.
This was that I tried first, but ironically enough I didn't think people would approve of how it looked. Seems I was proven wrong.

As for the weapons, I try to go with themed weapons but only if they are also utilitarian in purpose. Gemini Laser is perfect in the cramped submerged environments, freeze cracker can shoot around corners, Spin Wheel Screw Crusher is perfect for both throwing up on the higher-tier areas, albeit blindly, but also for assaulting the people below. Hard Knuckle can easily be used to ambush someone and knock of most of their health, and Knight Crush is a really powerful weapon to have in these tight quarters. Centaur Flash just felt generally useful, especially with the two W-Tanks that were just before the teleport but in retrospect I might replace this with something else. Maybe put Knight Crush there instead and put Gravity Hold where Knight Crush is now?

Lastly, I could always remove the Item-1's and replace Dust Crusher with Rush Coil.

Thanks for writing detailed critique about this. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I tip my hat to you, good sir.